• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone got a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits?

I like Cat Head biscuits made using lard rather than butter.
I had a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk (minus about a cup and a half) that I need to use up, so I made some cathead biscuits yesterday. For all of my life I have been an unbleached, all purpose flour snob that would never be caught with self rising flour in my pantry. Well, that is a big mistake with biscuits. White Lily, self rising is the true secret to biscuits! LOL. That, and good buttermilk. Then it doesn't matter if you go cathead or patting out (or....gasp!....rolling out). They are all good!

I am sure all of these will produce a good biscuit. Making a good biscuit is both art and science, practice and experience will improve your results.
Never had a recipe but this should get you a pretty good result.
2 cups flour, all purpose, preferably white Lilly
Teaspoon baking soda
Teaspoon baking powder
4fingers (about 1/2 cup) lard, vegetable shortening or butter.
Mix with your hands until shortening is well crumbled into flour mix
Buttermilk until the consistency of a stiff cement mix, DO NOT OVERMIX, mix only until dry ingredients are wet.
Turn onto floured counter top and fold dough about 3 times until you have a smooth surface, again, don't overwork.
Roll 5/8 to 3/4 thick, cut with a biscuit cutter, lay them on a greased baking pan where the edges of each biscuit are touching.
Bake in 375-400 degree preheated oven until golden.
Overworking will toughen your dough, underworking will cause the biscuits to be crumbly.
The purpose of using buttermilk as opposed to whole milk is that the slightly acetic buttermilk chemically reacts with the baking powder and soda (using both creates a more consistent rise) producing carbon dioxide bubbles in the mix, making the biscuits rise and have a light texture. If you don't have buttermilk, slightly acedifying whole milk with a teaspoon of vinegar will work.

I am sure all of these will produce a good biscuit. Making a good biscuit is both art and science, practice and experience will improve your results.
Never had a recipe but this should get you a pretty good result.
2 cups flour, all purpose, preferably white Lilly
Teaspoon baking soda
Teaspoon baking powder
4fingers (about 1/2 cup) lard, vegetable shortening or butter.
Mix with your hands until shortening is well crumbled into flour mix
Buttermilk until the consistency of a stiff cement mix, DO NOT OVERMIX, mix only until dry ingredients are wet.
Turn onto floured counter top and fold dough about 3 times until you have a smooth surface, again, don't overwork.
Roll 5/8 to 3/4 thick, cut with a biscuit cutter, lay them on a greased baking pan where the edges of each biscuit are touching.
Bake in 375-400 degree preheated oven until golden.
Overworking will toughen your dough, underworking will cause the biscuits to be crumbly.
The purpose of using buttermilk as opposed to whole milk is that the slightly acetic buttermilk chemically reacts with the baking powder and soda (using both creates a more consistent rise) producing carbon dioxide bubbles in the mix, making the biscuits rise and have a light texture. If you don't have buttermilk, slightly acedifying whole milk with a teaspoon of vinegar will work.

^^^^^^^^^^ His biscuits are fine! :becky:

I have a huge measuring cup . Holds 8 cups .

I put 2 or 3 cups of self rising flour in it , half cup to a cup of oil or lard , half a cup to a cup of buttermilk or whole milk ,dash of salt .

Mix with a large wood spoon till it's stiff , then throw it all on a cookie sheet, flatten it out an cook it at tree fiddy till done ,then broil till the top is brown.

Cut it up into biscuits with a pizza cutter :0)

Or you can make individual biscuits too .

Several years ago, I knew someone that had a connection with a manager at Popeyes. I could get a case of 600 biscuits for $30.00. They were partially cooked,and you could toss them in the oven and in just a few minutes you had fresh biscuits. Not nearly as good as homemade, but better than most alternatives.
I guess that's when I got out of the habit of making biscuits.
Great Googely Moogely! I'd weigh 900 lbs if I had a connection like that!

Step 1: get in your car
Step 2: go to Hardees
Step 3: buy all the biscuits

Buy a box of Bisquick.
Follow the directions on the back of the box.
Throw away the box and tell everybody you made them from scratch.

Chick Fil A Drive through...

Worst suggestions in this thread so far. Hardees biscuits are ok, but they cant touch good homemade biscuits. Bisquick isn't even good for pancakes. I used it twice and threw most of the box in the trash after the second attempt. Chick Fil A biscuits are terrible.

Back
Top Bottom