• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 suggestions

04redmach1

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
I am in the process of looking for a good quality AR for a good price. I was first looking at a Sig 516, but not sure I really want to spend that kind of money. I thought I was getting one at a good price, come to find out it was the 400 series. After browsing, I seen the Atlantic Firearms gas piston AR15 for $799 on sale. I am unsure if it has a chrome lined barrel or not as it is not stated unless I looked over it.

Bottom of the line, I want an AR with forward assist, dust cover, and chrome lined barrel. I would prefer a piston gas AR, but not NEEDED if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks. You are right, you can make it expensive, which with a child coming next month I do not intend to. Basically want to know if anyone has any experience with the Atlantic or know of another sub $1000 AR that has my needs. I prefer new :)

First question, why are you wanting a piston AR? I've been keeping track of all the latest and greatest ones that have come out, and done a lot of research, I've come down to if you want one that is going to run for the long run then you are looking at well over a grand, and even then it is questionable on whether you are really getting a platform that is more reliable or effective then then your standard DI AR15. More to the point most piston systems are going to make it so you are not going to have a gun that has parts that are readily available since most of the pistons, BCG, and piston rods are proprietary. So I guess my question is what advantages do you think you are going to get with a piston that a quality $900, $1,000, or even $1,100 Colt, BCM, DD doesn't offer?

I don't NEED a piston, but would be nice. I'm a noob when it comes to this, but isn't the reason an AK is so reliable due to the piston? The AR's gas only system can not take the punishment or crap a piston can? If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me. If I am hog hunting or in south Georgia playing in the mud or swamp areas, if my firearm does get dropped or such, I want to assure I will have no problems.

Again, I am not a pro. Lead me in the right direction so I can stop researching over and over. My pistol purchase was so much easier lol.

I don't NEED a piston, but would be nice. I'm a noob when it comes to this, but isn't the reason an AK is so reliable due to the piston? The AR's gas only system can not take the punishment or crap a piston can? If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me. If I am hog hunting or in south Georgia playing in the mud or swamp areas, if my firearm does get dropped or such, I want to assure I will have no problems.

Again, I am not a pro. Lead me in the right direction so I can stop researching over and over. My pistol purchase was so much easier lol.

The AK reliability has nothing to do with the piston.

Back
Top Bottom