• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR10 vs M14 Scout?

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
What's everyone think about an AR platform 308, vs the M1A,platform?

Who has tried both?

Any huge advantages/disadvantages to either?

-What's the verdict?

Depends on which AR10 and what the mission is going to be for the rifle that you are planning. Both have pros and cons.

the m14 has always been known for being uber reliable (see m1 garand, from what I understand it's the same style action) but from the ones that I've messed with, they're quite a bit heavier than the ar10. I'm more of an m14 guy myself just because of it's looks and the previously mentioned reliability, but I've also never had an AR style rifle fail on me so...6 in one hand, half dozen in the other?

Love my scout! Never shot an AR10 and the scout is a bit heavy esp w/ the EBR chassis on it, but then again they carried garands in wwI and men are a good 3-4 inches taller and 30-40 lbs heavier on average than they were back then.

Owning a few examples of each type of rifle, here's my .02. For ease of use, multiple optics/light mounting options, weight, cleaning, accessory availability & pricing, parts availability & pricing all of these factors "in general" favor the AR. In the short barreled versions accuracy is a wash. If I had to choose one over the other I'd go with the AR.

You going to take this on the plane with you lol

I like both, but for a "working gun" I would do the AR10 so you can set it up the way you want and the transition from a AR15 is easier. I love the SOCOM II, I am a Mini 14/Garand/M14 guy myself, but where would I find parts or mags in a SHTF scenario compared to an AR10

If you just want a .308 semi auto for general purpose, get the one YOU WANT !

You going to take this on the plane with you lol

I like both, but for a "working gun" I would do the AR10 so you can set it up the way you want and the transition from a AR15 is easier. I love the SOCOM II, I am a Mini 14/Garand/M14 guy myself, but where would I find parts or mags in a SHTF scenario compared to an AR10

If you just want a .308 semi auto for general purpose, get the one YOU WANT !

Yep-

That would cut down on Al qaeda troubles. Thanks for the insights, folks.

I guess it does come down to personal pref. I really like the scout configuration of the M1A. Some people think scout rifles look strange.... Until they shoot one. You can just pick up targets and keep your field of vision open so much better. It feels great!

But the AR does have some convenient modular options. I do like the overall feel of an AR 10, but it does seem pretty bulky.

Being more of a traditionalist, I am definitely leaning toward an M1A, but I ain't certain yet. A dang M1A should definitely be cheaper. They are great rifles, but dang-they are every bit at rich as they were at the height of the "assault weapons" ban... ARs have gotten a lot more reasonable, but the M1As are just nuts.... $1600 for a SOCOM?!? Wow!

Back
Top Bottom