• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ar15 legal question

If you have one of each, you should be fine. It's having only rifle lowers (ie have stocks/buffer tubes that can readily accept stocks) and a short upper that you get into trouble. The whole intent thing was borne out of machine gun parts (ie fire control parts/sears) without a proper machine gun. As long as you have one of the appropriate firearm, it's pretty hard to prove intent when you already have a legal one.

WHAT is wrong with putting a pistol upper on the lower????

I dont know AR stuff, sorry. Why would that be considered illegal ?

You would be committing a federal felony. It is a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934. The barrel on Title I rifles in the US must be 16" or more, shotguns 18" or more. Less than that with a stock is a short barrel rifle/shotgun. There are some AR pistols, but they cannot accept stocks nor are you to put foregrips on them.

And for reference, it's a 10 year, $250,000 felony.

You would be committing a federal felony. It is a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934. The barrel on Title I rifles in the US must be 16" or more, shotguns 18" or more. Less than that with a stock is a short barrel rifle/shotgun. There are some AR pistols, but they cannot accept stocks nor are you to put foregrips on them.

And for reference, it's a 10 year, $250,000 felony.

so does that mean I can put a pistol grip on my 870 and cut it down flush with the mag tube and call it a pistol?:eyebrows:

so does that mean I can put a pistol grip on my 870 and cut it down flush with the mag tube and call it a pistol?:eyebrows:

absolutely not. once a long gun, always a long gun. you can build a short barrel shotgun, but it needs a tax stamp as well. pistol shotguns don't exist as it would be a destructive device or something? the Taurus judge is rifled and thus not a shotgun, but a .45LC pistol...that happens to take .410 shells.

for so many existing gun laws, there are many grey areas still

yeah no way I'm going to cut my gun down..it would be so sexy though lol..on that Judge, I've also heard a certain theory that a .410 is considered more of a caliber than a "gauge" so therefore they can get away with it. But just heard that, don't quote me on legal matters lol I know most but not all

yeah no way I'm going to cut my gun down..it would be so sexy though lol..on that Judge, I've also heard a certain theory that a .410 is considered more of a caliber than a "gauge" so therefore they can get away with it. But just heard that, don't quote me on legal matters lol I know most but not all

.410 is a 68 gauge, for future reference.

The Judge exists because it technically is chambered in .45LC. It just so happens to work with .410 as well. It's a convenient way around being classified as a destructive device.

The Raging Judge that Taurus showed at SHOT was a 28 gauge, but it has no equivalent. Technically they made a destructive device and didn't follow the proper NFA paperwork for manufacture and importation. ATF put the kabash on that.

Back
Top Bottom