• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are multi-tools still a thing?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
I need something to cover the basics and I'm not sure if a multi-tool is it. I had a Gerber 25 years ago and it was good but technology moves fast. What is a good one? I need the pliers and screwdriver part mostly. I carry a good knife so that part is covered.

Leatherman Wave+ or the Surge if you want the Super Size version.

Wanted to add for those unaware:
Once verified Military/Veteran, Leo, Medic, and few others....ordering from the Leatherman website will yield you a one time 30% discount.
And if you click on the new customer pop-up banner they'll offer you free shipping on first order so it turns out to be a considerable savings seeing how Leathermans pretty much sell at full retail or only just below.

yes they are still a thing, but I barely use them. I'm seldom in a position where using a less than ideal tool is faster than walking to either my truck or garage shop to get the "real" version of the thing I actually need.

granted I'm an office worker and not a farmer or rancher but the point remains.

I need something to cover the basics and I'm not sure if a multi-tool is it. I had a Gerber 25 years ago and it was good but technology moves fast. What is a good one? I need the pliers and screwdriver part mostly. I carry a good knife so that part is covered.

I'm a long time carrier of the Leatherman Sidekick. Pliers are good, screwdrivers are just meh. Works in a pinch. My favorite part of the tool is the saw, which is great for taking small limbs and saplings down in the woods. I also like the one-hand deploy capability of the saw or the knife. Simple/easy pocket carry is also important for me, which the Sidekick does. If I'm carrying that, I'm not carrying a knife...redundant.

If screwdriver functionality is important, you might be better off with a multi tool that has bits and a bit holder; possibly with a belt-pouch carry setup. Have never owned one of those, so can't help there.

yes they are still a thing, but I barely use them. I'm seldom in a position where using a less than ideal tool is faster than walking to either my truck or garage shop to get the "real" version of the thing I actually need.

granted I'm an office worker and not a farmer or rancher but the point remains.
How do you manage that? The point’s usually the first thing to break when I’m using a makeshift screwdriver.

i have 2 leatherman waves. one lives in the truck the other in my camp gear. I carry most every single day a (1st gen ?) leatherman that was given to me in 1991. Been back for a refurb free of charge-even shipping. I feel naked without it as I find a use most days for it. No not the perfect tool for the job but sure has worked in a pinch millions of times

How do you manage that? The point’s usually the first thing to break when I’m using a makeshift screwdriver.
huh?

I broke the tip off my last knife used as a screw driver about 20 years ago. Still have it. Ever since then I've learned to go get the right tool. I'm less likely to mess **** up and give myself more work that way.

Recently picked up a SOG and it has a nice set of tools. Only thing I wish it had was a small set of scissors. Otherwise I like it. Also just found a seller ebay that sold a kydex sheath so I can keep it on my waist through the day.

20240326_115845.jpg

20240326_115732.jpg

Back
Top Bottom