• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are my AR15 gas rings messed up? Or is this correct?

Keep talking about cars. Keep spacing your rings out. It doesn't hurt anything it just doesn't help.

Good job trying to credential yourself to a win in the debate, but you don't know what you're talking about. Scratch that, it's not a debate. I'm right, you're wrong and nothing you say makes any difference at all.

Yeah.

Rings don't matter one bit. Take em out. You're right.

It's all part of a big plot by the ring barons and their fancy college boy engineers to keep us all fooled. Smartest thing to do would be to remove them all and save 3 cents per rifle.

Rings is really only for fingers and noses anyhow.

Yeah.

Rings don't matter one bit. Take em out. You're right.

It's all part of a big plot by the ring barons and their fancy college boy engineers to keep us all fooled. Smartest thing to do would be to remove them all and save 3 cents per rifle.

Rings is really only for fingers and noses anyhow.
His point is this: a gun will run with worn or even missing rings. Is it ideal? No. Will it work as well or as long as a gun with good rings installed? No. But it will run.

The fact that it will run, proves that gapping them at 120° does absolutely nothing. Guess what? Even if you did, they are going to rotate constantly under fire and it is impossible to keep them perfectly aligned. It doesn't matter.

Further, if you actually understood what happens when the bolt is inserted into the carrier, you would realize how ridiculous the "alignment myth" really is. The rings are compressed upon insertion. So that little gap that you're so worried about, actually closes under compression and IS NOT present when the bolt carrier group is fully assembled.

There basically three things to worry about with gas rings:

Do new ones fit into the carrier? If not, they are oversized / out of spec. Toss them in the trash.

Do used ones pass a function check? If yes, keep shooting. If no, replace.

And when cleaning the bolt, if you see any that are damaged, go ahead and replace the entire set.

It's really that simple...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

His point is this: a gun will run with worn or even missing rings. Is it ideal? No. Will it work as well or as long as a gun with good rings installed? No. But it will run.

The fact that it will run, proves that gapping them at 120° does absolutely nothing. Guess what? Even if you did, they are going to rotate constantly under fire and it is impossible to keep them perfectly aligned. It doesn't matter.

Further, if you actually understood what happens when the bolt is inserted into the carrier, you would realize how ridiculous the "alignment myth" really is. The rings are compressed upon insertion. So that little gap that you're so worried about, actually closes under compression and IS NOT present when the bolt carrier group is fully assembled.

There basically three things to worry about with gas rings:

Do new ones fit into the carrier? If not, they are oversized / out of spec. Toss them in the trash.

Do used ones pass a function check? If yes, keep shooting. If no, replace.

And when cleaning the bolt, if you see any that are damaged, go ahead and replace the entire set.

It's really that simple...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but that's not how the engine in my pickup works.....you have to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom