• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attention Garand Gurus! Question Pics Added

08-43 receiver
Stamping looks relatively crisp
Any corrosion below wood line?
Nice proof P on grip
If she "talks to you" buy her. In other words IMHO if the rifle seems special buy it if a reasonable price. These are a piece of history.

If you take the receiver out of the stock by removing the trigger group look for electro-pencil markings on the side of the receiver on the "legs" (this is below the wood line and can only bee seen when removed from the stock) to see if it was rebuilt.
The barrel that is on this receiver is one from one of the arsenals that rebuilt some of these M1's during the early to mid 60's (BTW these are Great shooter's),
if it is electro-penciled on the "leg" that would make it for certain a rebuild.
so far I like what I see, and look at the bottom of the grip area on the flat part of the stock to see if you can see any part of a Triangle Mark that would mean the stock was a rebuild stock.
TheGman TheGman is correct if it talks to you and you like the price, take her home you will not regret it.

image.jpeg
OP the 60s rebuilds are "collectible" in the sense that there are folks who like to have examples from each of the rebuild centers. Orange triangle represents LEAD rebuild , receiver legs would have LEAD and a date for example.
LEAD is Letterkenny Army Depot

See example from web. I am lucky I have a LEAD in great condition. Park is usually silvery colored on these

I do not collect the rebuilds but some do.
And as Orlando and TheGman pointed out.
Some have been rebuilt a bunch of times and others only once.
These rifles are really collectable to some and as stated before are awesome shooters.
Just remember that the rifle you pick has something about it that made you choose it.
And to quote TheGman if she talks to you get her.
Great post TheGman.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom