• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attention on Baiting

One of my brothers half way down my mountain, has a ton of acorns fall down in his long paved driveway every year..I mean to the tune, of at least a large garbage barrel full..He uses a billy goat to pick them up,,I am going to ask him to put them in 5 gal buckets I bring him...Can't wait to see how that works..

Some folks believe baiting makes it too easy. You will see. Once everyone is doing it, things will be hardly any different. I have hunted most of my life in both N and S zones. I do not bait down south because I do not feel that it will make any difference. The only time I have seen corn bring the deer in with any consistency, yet still very little, is late in the season. I could not begin to count the times I have seen deer walk right by a fresh pile of corn on their way to the acorns. They will always prefer acorns, but once those have been depleted, they might hit the corn.

It really doesn't make much, if any difference.

REAL hunters don`t need bait. Or gadgets. Or advice from magazines.

Do you hunt over acorns?
I have read lots of helpful tips in magazines over the years. Some of those guys have lots of experience and we can always learn something new from anyone. I was taught by my Dad and uncles. I've been out there since I was 5, reading sign, using all the old school tricks. I'm 44 now, and have killed enough deer for 3 lifetimes, but I can still learn something new.

I don't go for gadgets myself. I'm old school and do not want to bring attention to myself. However, I have seen many a good deer taken by someone using a grunt call at the right time. Rattling too.

E0BD788A-985A-4BE1-AE3E-72AC02A30AC8.png
I wish I could afford thermal for early dawn and right at dusk..My hearing is all but gone, it would be nice.
Get you a pair of these dd and they will give you a few extra minutes at dusk with out spending a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom