• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV vs UTV / side by side?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
I need to get something to ride through a property too big to walk and keep an eye on. Was originally thinking about an ATV, but the family might like riding around on a UTV. This will not be for racing around on.

Terrain is mostly wooded, old logging roads, or roads we have bush hogged in. No really rocky terrain, but some roads are fairly steep. I don't plan on going through deep mud or water. I am not planning on using it for work/hauling etc, but I am not sure what all I may need in the future. Thinking about making a lake on the property so will need to carry some gear back and forth.
A few areas of the roads come in poor condition with muddy areas or runoff ruts which I will have to fix. Will the roads get less damaged with an ATV vs UTV? Or are they both so light that road damage (when road not muddy) is not a concern?

Anyone have both?

Also I care more about absolute reliability rather than features or price. I have heard that Honda's win on ATV reliability and Kawasaki Mules on the UTV side. Anyone have a different experience?

Thanks in advance!

Another option could be a gas powered golf cart with ATV style tires. My friends use one and it does great on their farm. They also have a JD Gator if they need to go into some rough stuff though...

I purchased a 2011 Polaris 800 XP when it first came out. It will tow 2,000 lbs and the bed will hold 1,500 lbs. 3 modes of drive single pull, two pull, and true 4 pull. I use it hunting and on my property 8acres in the Mountains. She never fails me, very pleased with the performance. Oh and drove her 18 miles down the mountain when we had 24 inches of snow, some 4-5 yrs ago..

Another option could be a gas powered golf cart with ATV style tires. My friends use one and it does great on their farm. They also have a JD Gator if they need to go into some rough stuff though...
They're not very good if there's ditches or logs to cross. I have one and it also isn't the best on steep hills.

I purchased a 2011 Polaris 800 XP when it first came out. It will tow 2,000 lbs and the bed will hold 1,500 lbs. 3 modes of drive single pull, two pull, and true 4 pull. I use it hunting and on my property 8acres in the Mountains. She never fails me, very pleased with the performance. Oh and drove her 18 miles down the mountain when we had 24 inches of snow, some 4-5 yrs ago..

How is your experience with Polaris? Been poking around on the interwebz and people that have owned polaris and japanese say to go with japanese. Especially Honda when talking about ATVs.

Like I said I have had mine since it was on the show room floor in 2011. I only have 500 miles on her, and she has done just about all you could ask out of one, I have pulled my sons Toyota pu, out of a snow drift, plowed my food plots several years and towed a 6.5x12 trailer with two cords of wood..Very happy with the performance.

4 wheel drive, 1 horsepower, crosses gullies and ditches
Moses.JPG

Back
Top Bottom