• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV vs UTV / side by side?

I am not a big prepper, but would the Mule with a diesel engine be a big plus? Should be able to run on anything.

I have a polaris ATV and a Kubota RTV. Use polaris in the woods when i need speed and agility. Kubota on highway, woods roads and open stands. Kubota is indestructable and very fuel efficient. Use it every day, fill it once a month.

I sold Polaris and CanAm for a while and now I'm looking at buying a Polaris Ranger 570. Can't beat them for the use you described and it will last a long time if you take care of it.

I helped my dad look and did a lot of research when he was in the market for a utv a couple years ago. If it's for utility, not sport, the Kawasaki, in my opinion is the best all around value. He lives on the side of a mountain and you can haul 5 people up a steep grade in that thing. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's a beast. The long wheelbase of the 4 seater can be problem with obstacles, but it was a must for him with the grandkids coming over all the time.

Honda also has their 4 seater utv that came out right after he got his. The two back seats fold flat into the bed. Looks pretty cool.

I have owned a Polaris ATV for 10 years. Bought my son a Honda 4 years ago. If we had it to do over again, I would have gotten him a Polaris. The Honda is fine but can't hold a candle to the Polaris in any category. They have both been equally reliable. When mine needs replacing. It will be another Polaris. As for side by sides. Check out the New Polaris General.

I am not a big prepper, but would the Mule with a diesel engine be a big plus? Should be able to run on anything.
The mule is a fine machine. However, a mule with a diesel is really a vehicle designed for an air cooled gasoline engine, retrofitted with a diesel. The Kubota RTV 900 series was designed from the ground up as an industrial diesel and is worth a look if you plan to use it a lot and haul heavy loads. I use mine right now to haul hay for my horse, and firewood for some neighbors (one is 98) who can no longer cut their own. I would not recommend a new one, but rather a used one with say less than 2-3000 hrs one it. They are noisy, and un-sporty, but I pull a 6000lb trailer loaded with firewood up from the creek bottom several times each year. The dump bed is something I never thought I would use........

I have had a Kawa diesel Mule for about 10 years now and absolutely love it. I use it all year round for fire wood hauling and just fun riding in the woods. It doesn't have power steering but I've never missed it. If you don't plan on hauling much in the back, the four seater might be the way to go, I personally like the longer bed on the two seater.

Back
Top Bottom