• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATV vs UTV / side by side?

Hands down UTV is the way to go.Have owned several and at the moment own a Kawasaki 2014 Teryx 4.Very happy with it overall! Will clear 5 gallon bucket with ease. The mules and some kubota are not that fast with top speeds of 15 to 25 mph they are mainly workhorses.Honestly buy used if you can, ifvthe machine has been taken care of.
Debating on selling mine and getting a 2016 T4

Jeep Wrangler or Suzuki Samurai. Cheaper than most of the options you are looking at, street legal if necessary, actually hold their resale value and parts/ maint is generally cheaper. With my Jeep I take my doors and top off when the weather is nice and during the winter I have heat.

Ok I don't have an unbiased opinion but here we go.
The tractor supply rigs are great unless you need parts or someone to work on them.
Kubota's the hydrostatic trans takes some getting used to. The differentials can be problematic and are expensive.
Polaris are nice (father forgive me those were came from my mouth). They seem to cost less new and they have excellent warranty. I think they have resolved the reverse chain issue. Off-road power sports in tifton sells a LOT of Polaris
Gator well they are great for farmers who want to incorporate them into a farm loan.
Mules are the original and still hard to beat. They are not the fastest but they do what they do forever. Maintenance is relatively inexpensive. With the addition of fuel injection and power steering in the 4010 series they are even better. The 610 are great but don't have the before mentioned ps and fi. The diesels are nice but they are loud and more expensive to maintain. The mule pro is a whole new awesome deal but may be overkill. Just don't drive one.
Can am is more performance based. They just released defender but it's fairly new.
Honda pioneer is a great machine backed by Honda not Honda lawn and garden. It's a Honda not much else to say. If you are a big guy or have big feet make sure you have enough room to get in.
Sorry on my second cup of coffee.

Hands down UTV is the way to go.Have owned several and at the moment own a Kawasaki 2014 Teryx 4.Very happy with it overall! Will clear 5 gallon bucket with ease. The mules and some kubota are not that fast with top speeds of 15 to 25 mph they are mainly workhorses.Honestly buy used if you can, ifvthe machine has been taken care of.
Debating on selling mine and getting a 2016 T4
The 800 T4 is awesome. The machines are overbuilt and tough

Motor sports super store in Hamilton Alabama beats everybody's prices.
Motorsportssuperstore.com
I haven't personally bought one from them but know several people who have. Just a long drive. They had a sell on 2015 polaris rzr 1000 right before Christmas for $10500 if I remember right.

Thanks for the feedback!
I had written off the Polaris based on things I had read about them when researching ATV's. Basically, a lot of "I've worked on all of em at the shop, and the Polaris seems to have the most problems and Honda the least" with usually either Kawasaki or Suzuki thrown in as GTG with the Honda.

I am going to give Polaris another look. There are a lot more of them for sale around here. The sales guys I have talked to at the stores seemed to push Polaris a little ahead of the others, going so far as to say "Why pay more for a Honda when they're all the same". Maybe they have a better margin on them?

I have a '15 Polaris XP900 with the EBS and winch (hunters package), I wanted a newer model as they have moved the engine out from under the seat so it isn't as rough in the summer time from a heat standpoint. It has been great so far, will go thru anything that you want, and rides well. I went with Polaris for the performance as well, a lot of others such as Kubota, JD, and Mule are well built, but I wanted to have some top end speed. The Yamaha Wolverine was in the running as well, but I just liked the Polaris better. I just got back from Arkansas on a duck hunt, they use almost all Polaris, but they did have an Intimidator that was really cool, but can't speak of top end. It did carry 3 grown men in waders and gear thru some serious black mud. It also had a real glass windshield with a hand operated windshield wiper and a power dump bed, and it was the quietest UTV there. I think Mahindra tractor company is selling them now. I still prefer my Polaris, but was impressed.

Jeep Wrangler or Suzuki Samurai. Cheaper than most of the options you are looking at, street legal if necessary, actually hold their resale value and parts/ maint is generally cheaper. With my Jeep I take my doors and top off when the weather is nice and during the winter I have heat.
I've often wonder why people didn't just get a old jeep

The new sxs are as big as a jeep and cost as mush as a used jeep but not legal on the road

Back
Top Bottom