• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Backstrap vs tenderloin

Your description blows me away, just where is the tenderloin, I thought it was the last section of the back strap.

i1284.photobucket.com_albums_a564_Choppem1345_untitled_zps0991ad1c185b9e22d94cbf28c116c06d6fee.png

The tenderloin runs along the spine inside the chest cavity. Once you gut a deer, it is accessible. It is 8" - 14" and about as big as your wrist.

Your description blows me away, just where is the tenderloin, I thought it was the last section of the back strap.

That is what I tell all the newbs when I help them clean the deer. THen I snatch the secret piece of meat from the inside behind the ribs and throw it in my pocket for dinner.

Backstrap is top loin. From the top butt to portion where the meat starts to swirl would be the (New York strip). From there forward, it would be Ribeye. The tenderloin is inside rearward under the spine. Everything is exactly the same as a cow, just much smaller. To make T-bone deer stakes, you need a band saw. They are very good, looks like a lamb chop.

They are both good to me. I like the strap sliced about 1/2" thick and grill it on medium fire 2-3 min per side. When I process my deer (or pig) I cut into 6" sections in case I want to cook one whole. Once you slice it, your committed.

Back
Top Bottom