• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Baiting North Ga vs South Ga

Good point. Never thought of that.

As for the idea that baiting has no real effect on the huntability of deer, that is not my experience at all. Years ago I invested a large amount of time and money in leasing and scouting property in South Georgia. We developed a club and even leased a house nearby for the members to use because most of us were travelling quite a ways to get there.

The amount of sign was astonishing. We also saw several very nice bucks while they were still in velvet well before the season. We were all pumped because of the quality of the land and deer population. A few of us had even gotten fairly solid patterns of movement on different mature bucks. Then...

About two weeks before the opening of bow season me and my brother were near the boundary of the property when we heard an ATV on the adjoining land. It came very close to our property line, so we went to investigate. We could see the big pile of corn that had been dumped from our side of the line. Upon investigation we found this was common all around our land, which was long, but rather narrow. Everyone was baiting the hell out of the area and this was before it was legal. The result was that just about every deer got sucked right off our land. Fresh sign became almost non existent and during the entire season only two does were killed. All of the members of the club were experienced and skilled deer hunters, but if the deer have left there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

I might be wrong, but my feeling is that the vast majority of people that hunt over bait in South Georgia now, poached over bait before it was legal and I don't think very much of them at all.
You may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Of course it will change travel patterns. Absolutely. But it does NOT lead to greater hunter success. The funny thing was a lot of people tried to pull the "poor poor small landowner" card saying the "rich guys" had an advantage with planting large food plots etc so they "needed" corn to see any deer. Of course the "rich guys" are the ones that afford to run truck loads of corn to their property around the clock and it actually makes it WORSE on the small land owner. There is more than sufficient empirical data to show that if your goal is harvesting more deer, especially mature deer, baiting is lessening your chances not increasing them.
I was on a subcommitte for the 10 year deer management plan for Georgia and trust me when I say it's been beat to death and the ONLY reason there is baiting in Georgia, at all, is for political reasons. The guys with the $ got us the legislation that allowed the 200 yard rule and now they can shoot deer over a bait pile in southern GA and eventually northern GA. "Hunting", not what she used to be.

Baiting deer= abortion

That's an interesting comparison.

Not sure I can make that leap. But to each their own I guess.
I'm talking about the logic not any moral equivalency. What I'm saying is the pro abortionists say "give me the right to do it, you don't have to." Isn't that what you are saying? I should respect your right to shoot publicly owned wildlife in whatever manner you deem appropriate and I don't have to participate?

I'm talking about the logic not any moral equivalency. What I'm saying is the pro abortionists say "give me the right to do it, you don't have to." Isn't that what you are saying? I should respect your right to shoot publicly owned wildlife in whatever manner you deem appropriate and I don't have to participate?

I never said that. Not even close. I didn't say by any means necessary. I didn't say you have the right to hunt at night or with night vision or with grenades, or take as much as you want whenever you want. The tool to take the game or the legal hunting hours, or the bag limits are not even close to the same thing as the environment you as a property owner should have the right to control.

I am not advocating complete anarchy of the wildlife resources. But what I choose or not choose to do with my property isn't solely limited to deer. And the baiting /not baiting laws don't take that into account. If I put out bird feeders and hunt off my porch for deer. You know what? Technically that's hunting over bait since most bird seed blends contain most of the same ingredients as many of the deer feeds. And deer most certainly eat at bird feeders. If I free range my chickens and spread scratch in the field. Guess what? Yup deer might eat it. I plant clover and Millet? Yup deer might eat that also. Maybe I plant some peach or Apple trees for the sole purpose of attracting deer. Is that baiting? Whether the tree came in a bag from the nursery or the apples came from store in a bag the end result is exactly the same.

What about if I decide to clear a small field around that giant white oak so I have a better mast crop and better field of view to shoot. Where exactly is the line in your mind between baiting and not baiting?

You are arguing semantics over some type of moral behaviour. But don't seem to have a problem with all types of attractants just certain types. Mainly for corn from what I read.

Why do you hate corn?

:victorious:

I never said that. Not even close. I didn't say by any means necessary. I didn't say you have the right to hunt at night or with night vision or with grenades, or take as much as you want whenever you want. The tool to take the game or the legal hunting hours, or the bag limits are not even close to the same thing as the environment you as a property owner should have the right to control.

I am not advocating complete anarchy of the wildlife resources. But what I choose or not choose to do with my property isn't solely limited to deer. And the baiting /not baiting laws don't take that into account. If I put out bird feeders and hunt off my porch for deer. You know what? Technically that's hunting over bait since most bird seed blends contain most of the same ingredients as many of the deer feeds. And deer most certainly eat at bird feeders. If I free range my chickens and spread scratch in the field. Guess what? Yup deer might eat it. I plant clover and Millet? Yup deer might eat that also. Maybe I plant some peach or Apple trees for the sole purpose of attracting deer. Is that baiting? Whether the tree came in a bag from the nursery or the apples came from store in a bag the end result is exactly the same.

What about if I decide to clear a small field around that giant white oak so I have a better mast crop and better field of view to shoot. Where exactly is the line in your mind between baiting and not baiting?

You are arguing semantics over some type of moral behaviour. But don't seem to have a problem with all types of attractants just certain types. Mainly for corn from what I read.

Why do you hate corn?

:victorious:
Have you really not had these conversations before? I'm betting you have. I've already suggested how you can get your desires made legal (quicker).

Have you really not had these conversations before? I'm betting you have. I've already suggested how you can get your desires made legal (quicker).

Yes but is there something wrong with a civil and polite discussion/debate with a reasonably intelligent person?

Always enjoy that myself. Never know what I might learn.

The "why do you hate corn" comment was just some lighthearted humor.

download (5).jpg

Just post this sign and you're good to go!

I'm in upson county, legally we can't bait but everyone does anyway. Mostly it's more of an ambush for the trail cams than actually hunting over.

When I was hunting south Ga and Kentucky alike, we would put out corn feeders. We never hunted on the feeders though, just used them to hold the deer on the property and to get some good trail camera pics. In Kentucky, we would literally put corn feeders in between 200 acres of planted corn, 200 acres of planted soybeans, and 200 acres of radishes. The deer love the cleaned corn and come into it pretty regularly. Got good pics to let us know what was on the property, not to hunt over. I don't know anybody that has killed a big buck hunting over a feeder (unless they're hunting at night, maybe). Same goes for salt and mineral licks, we put them out for the deer but never hunt over them. I've got no problem with what you do on your property, because it's yours and I'll never be able to hunt it...lol

I'm not sure if anyone else is confused why South Ga can "bait" and North Ga cannot. It seems to me that it should be complete opposite. South GA is typically flat and a lot more farm ground where you can plant food plots and grow crops to help the deer population. It's hard to plant food plots on mountain sides and hills that are vertical versus horizontal. Anyone else think this or am I missing the whole point?

I hear it is because some asshole state rep from Griffin didn't want baiting in his area.

Back
Top Bottom