• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Chopping Advice

Yes take it to a gunsmith, they will put in a lathe and CENTER the bore of the gun (not the outside of the barrel, which can be dramatically off) and then cut it while its in the lathe. This is the ONLY way to get a square end. Otherwise you will have a non square end, and your bullet will wobble, or tumble as it comes out of the gun.

I haven't had any work done at Dobb's b/c its a hike from this side of town, but he gets excellent reviews.

I have had Dave at Dave's Gunsmith cut, thread and crown a number of barrels, he is excellent and reasonable as well. The last threading job he did was $50 on my 1903/a3.

http://davesgunsmithing.com/

If you do it yourself you are basically ruining any chance at having an accurate gun.
I think you are confusing threading the barrel concentric to the bore to cutting the barrel and re-crowning. If the OP is not threading the barrel for a can or other muzzle device, then a cut/new crown is definitely something that a do it yourselfer can accomplish.

Actually, hacksaw, file and piloted crowing tools are right for the job, as right as any lathe or mill.

Couple three points....

One....Lathes and mills ain't the only way to do fine and highly accurate work. Hand tools can make the shortening and crowning process easy and accurate or I'll EAT any of the hundreds of rifles/handguns and muzzleloaders I've cut and crowned without a lathe or mill.....(many were long distance match rifles and remained competative long distance match rifles after the cuts.)

Two....slight variances in square and crown damage are not the end of the world for accuracy and repeatability, especially not at typical shooting distances of a couple hundred yards or less.....and befor ya start, most of ya that is gonna be tempted to yell "Yer Wrong" have not fired at 1000 yards or even 600 for money or meat. Lets stick to experience.....crown matters (up to a heckofalot) at longer ranges, less so at normal Gun Totin for Huntin ranges, regardless of whats typed to the contrary.

Three....Its a mosin nagant thats being worked on. As such, it is not much more than a Turd fished from the Party Punch Bowl and coated with some Candy Sprinkles. Shortening the barrel is likely to slightly increase accuracy, even with a home crown, simply because the worn section at the muzzle is removed.

Chop it with a hacksaw, as square as you can. File it smooth even more square, or better, use a hand powered piloted cutter. Chuck a brass screw in a drill with some clover and polish the crown with an oscillating motion (or use a hand powered piloted crowning cutter) and go shooting and enjoy your rifles same or better accuracy and decreased cumbersomness.

Last edited:
Actually, hacksaw, file and piloted crowing tools are right for the job, as right as any lathe or mill.

Couple three points....

One....Lathes and mills ain't the only way to do fine and highly accurate work. Hand tools can make the shortening and crowning process easy and accurate or I'll EAT any of the hundreds of rifles/handguns and muzzleloaders I've cut and crowned without a lathe or mill.....(many were long distance match rifles and remained competative long distance match rifles after the cuts.)

Two....slight variances in square and crown damage are not the end of the world for accuracy and repeatability, especially not at typical shooting distances of a couple hundred yards or less.....and befor ya start, most of ya that is gonna be tempted to yell "Yer Wrong" have not fired at 1000 yards or even 600 for money or meat. Lets stick to experience.....crown matters (up to a heckofalot) at longer ranges, less so at normal Gun Totin for Huntin ranges, regardless of whats typed to the contrary.

Three....Its a mosin nagant thats being worked on. As such, it is not much more than a Turd fished from the Party Punch Bowl and coated with some Candy Sprinkles. Shortening the barrel is likely to slightly increase accuracy, even with a home crown, simply because the worn section at the muzzle is removed.

Chop it with a hacksaw, as square as you can. File it smooth even more square, or better, use a hand powered piloted cutter. Chuck a brass screw in a drill with some clover and polish the crown with an oscillating motion (or use a hand powered piloted crowning cutter) and go shooting and enjoy your rifles same or better accuracy and decreased cumbersomness.

This part: "Three....Its a mosin nagant thats being worked on. As such, it is not much more than a Turd fished from the Party Punch Bowl and coated with some Candy Sprinkles." :pound:

Back
Top Bottom