• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Chopping Advice

Well I think I need to do some trigger work on this rifle but I'm really satisfied with how it shoots without doing any type of crowning. The picture with only 5 shots is my best 5 shot group. This was with surplus Russian silver tipped ammo at 100 yards off a bipod with the 15 lb trigger pull.

Attachments

• 20150808_141342.jpg
    20150808_141342.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150808_141347.jpg
    20150808_141347.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 25
If you were to control your breathing better, (Shoot on the natural pause of your exhale) your grouping will be a lot better. The two you dropped you were taking in a breath. Nice 1st three!
I think you are exactly right. I'm going to try to shoot more supported too. Those are shot with a bipod and then my off hand supporting the rear of the rifle. I have the timney trigger in there now and it shoots sweet. I'll try to get some more groups, better supported, slower paced, and see how they turn out. It's been a lot of fun so far, love that rifle!

I think you are exactly right. I'm going to try to shoot more supported too. Those are shot with a bipod and then my off hand supporting the rear of the rifle. I have the timney trigger in there now and it shoots sweet. I'll try to get some more groups, better supported, slower paced, and see how they turn out. It's been a lot of fun so far, love that rifle!

Go make you whats called a sand sock (bean bag). You can full a sock with sand, however I like using beans. Go to Wally World and get a bag of beans and dump in a sock and tie it up. you don't want it to be to firm. The premise behind this is when your on pods, (Lower them as close to the ground as possible) place your sand sock under your buttstock of your rifle. Take or non-firing hand and wrap it under your rifle with that hand around the bag and in contact with the stock. When done correctly your should be able to squeeze the bag and you will watch it change your elevation. When your in your FFP squeeze and hold on target, (FIRE) x3 shots for your group. Ensure your using all of your fundamentals of marksmanship, (steady position, Breathing, sight alignment and steady trigger squeeze). I'll make a bet with anyone, If you do this and bag your stock like im suggesting, Your groups will dramatically change and at 100 yards you will be at least have a MOA group or very close to a 1 MOA group! I'd like to see your improvements once you have done this. Please post pics.
V/R
Chris

Your groups will dramatically change and at 100 yards you will be at least have a MOA group or very close to a 1 MOA group!

Dude it's a Mosin with factory ammo.
Though the advice of a good rest and good fundamentals make a difference, Clean hunting kills, gongs and silhouettes no problem if everything is consistent, BUT I'd take a bet against most any Mosin with factory ammo being a true one minute rifle all day on Saturday and even go 2/1 the rest of the week.

Your groups will dramatically change and at 100 yards you will be at least have a MOA group or very close to a 1 MOA group!

Dude it's a Mosin with factory ammo.
Though the advice of a good rest and good fundamentals make a difference, Clean hunting kills, gongs and silhouettes no problem if everything is consistent, BUT I'd take a bet against most any Mosin with factory ammo being a true one minute rifle all day on Saturday and even go 2/1 the rest of the week.
Yeah it's just fun to me though. It's fun working on my skills and working to make the rifle better. If the best this rifle could shoot with be a pie plate group at 100 yards I'd take it, but it seems it can do better and I have a lot to work on with my technique/skill before I run into it's shooting limits.

Yeah it's just fun to me though. It's fun working on my skills and working to make the rifle better. If the best this rifle could shoot with be a pie plate group at 100 yards I'd take it, but it seems it can do better and I have a lot to work on with my technique/skill before I run into it's shooting limits.
That's Honesty Right There!

Thank You

There are only a few people I know that can consistently outshoot their firearms. Those folks are on the AMU Service Rifle Teams. They have gunsmiths that change anything they say is wrong when they come back from the range. Robbie Johnson now works for (Remington Defense) and Jason St. John now (75th RGR Regt Marksmanship instructor) have done this for years will all of their competitions. If you google these 2 names, these guys are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom