Beam scales

25   0
Reaction score
Evening guys
I have a digital Hornady scale that has lost its mind. Are the digital scales worth having or should I go with a beam scale. I loaded up 150 .223 with 23gr of TAC lastnight. Tonight according to my scale the same 23gr won’t fit in the case.

Yes sir already started pulling them apart
You do not have to pull them......yet. a couple things to check first. 1, do you have an air current impacting the scale? Meaning, can a volume of air impart pressure on the measuring table of the scale.
2. If 1 is yes, Does your scale have an auto zero function?
3. If 2 is no, have you manually re-zeroed lately?
4. Is your powder free of excess moisture? Is in a climate controlled environment or do you have an ability to check humidity?
5. Probably the dumbest question, but is it the same powder?

I’m set up in the garage it is climate controlled but I do turn the heat way down when I finish for the night.

My scale does not auto zero but I zero it pretty regular.

Yes sir the TAC powder is all I have at the moment.

I pulled a few apart and they are measuring 17.8gr
Tonight.

Evening guys
I have a digital Hornady scale that has lost its mind. Are the digital scales worth having or should I go with a beam scale. I loaded up 150 .223 with 23gr of TAC lastnight. Tonight according to my scale the same 23gr won’t fit in the case.
I have used RCBS or LEE balance beams for 40+ yrs of loading/shooting. I havent had to pull bullets because of scale failure - ever.
Electronics fail and can lie.

Evening guys
I went through the same shocking experience! No fun for sure. My Arsenal digital scale after 6 years went crazy as I was loading a test string. Re-zeroed it and finished loading. Needless to say it took one shot and the chronograph told me it was hotter than it should be. Pulled the rest apart. Luckily the only fallout was a blown primer. Now I use a beam scale and constantly check everything is as it should be.

Back
Top Bottom