Beam scales

I've used an RCBS 505 beam scale exclusively since I've been reloading on my own for about 7 years now. It's a slower process but it puts my mind to ease knowing there are no mistakes due to electronics failure.

Cheap scales are cheap. A lab grade electronic scale like like the fx120 will run circles around a beam scale but....you're gonna pay for it. I still use my rcbs 505 on occasion to double check. It's just slower. Both types of scales have pros and cons and are susceptible to different things that can throw off measurements.

Get a quality digital scale. And then have a second for check. I throw then check every load on 2 different scales. I have not been able to load as accurately with a beam scale as I can with quality digital scales.

I'll step up to an fx120 some day, but my chargmaster and secondary scale have proved exceptionally accurately thus far, albeit slower than and fx120 setup

Cheap scales are cheap. A lab grade electronic scale like like the fx120 will run circles around a beam scale but....you're gonna pay for it. I still use my rcbs 505 on occasion to double check. It's just slower. Both types of scales have pros and cons and are susceptible to different things that can throw off measurements.
And electronics crap out. It’s good to have a gold standard to know when it happens though and it sounds like you have that covered with a beam scale. 😁

There used to be a guy that accurized the old rcbs 1010 scales that ohaus made. Supposed to make them sensitive to .01 gr. Don't think he does it anymore and rcbs doesn't OEM to ohaus either. Beam balances can be bumped off zero pretty easy. Atleast the the $150 and under models. Electronics are sensitive to flourescent lights and repeated usage of the strain gage. The high end beams are built much sturdier and the high end electronics ditch the strain gage and have some EM shielding. Still gonna spend a pretty penny no matter what you choose to ditch the inherent flaws in either system

Back
Top Bottom