• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What scales (balance) are y’all using?

I just purchased a TRX-925. I typically use new federal match cases since I have quite a few.
B74AA99A-A3F6-469A-B6A1-E4F3D1BDCE87.jpeg
E628B126-C6DA-49F5-8C8C-69AB95D4FB23.jpeg

Control for smilers touched on it already but primer pockets must be uniformed there are many tools out there but I prefer PMA tools primer pocket uniformer. Measure everything you can with your brass OAL, shoulder datum length with headspace gauge, and neck thickness. Your main goal should be to have every piece of brass exactly the same and you can’t be afraid to cull some if they don’t measure up even if it is lapua. Now that you have a decent scale I’d focus on brass prep.

Control for smilers touched on it already but primer pockets must be uniformed there are many tools out there but I prefer PMA tools primer pocket uniformer. Measure everything you can with your brass OAL, shoulder datum length with headspace gauge, and neck thickness. Your main goal should be to have every piece of brass exactly the same and you can’t be afraid to cull some if they don’t measure up even if it is lapua. Now that you have a decent scale I’d focus on brass prep.
Good info again. I’m going to try the scale first to see if that’s my weak link before I change anything else.

New scale got here fast! Loaded up 4 rounds to start. New federal match brass, 42 grains of 4064, CCI 200 primers, 2.800 OAL.

Cheap Hornady scale : 22.40 SD

TRX-925 scale: 13.46 SD

I know it’s only 4 rounds but I’m impressed so far. I’ll work up more loads for the weekend!

View attachment 5674415
careful...start chasing SD you gonna end up with an annealing machine.

Using fire formed and weighed Hornady 6.5 creed brass and 38.00 grains of H4350, 140g match bullets set to 2.820, I achieved 8.3 SD on a 4 shot group. I think it would have been closer if I had warmed up the rifle first.
D9A52CD0-8CC1-4CDA-94F4-5F57D6B7D563.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom