Best 1980's truck to buy for a project

I prefer the square body Chevy/GMC trucks for looks, and I think the 87 model was the best - the last of the style with the first fuel injected 350. I prefer the 88-98 GMT400 overall. I like the F150 as well, but the design had become archaic by the late 80s. The Windsor small blocks if the time lacked good power and economy. Leg room was bad too.

1986 was the change year for the better engine seals.
1987 was the first year for fuel injectors instead of carbs.
upload_2016-5-20_5-12-24.png

My vote is for a mid-90's SS Silverado or Lightning

View attachment 778669
View attachment 778670
These are bad ass also, but it comes down to preference, I'm normally not a speed guy. Those will kill you if you sneeze wrong while driving em, AND you can roll a lifted truck pretty easy also , I think a 4x4 is a little more versatile but I comes down to preference. Speed trucks tend to be the flavor of this thread though

These are bad ass also, but it comes down to preference, I'm normally not a speed guy. Those will kill you if you sneeze wrong while driving em, AND you can roll a lifted truck pretty easy also , I think a 4x4 is a little more versatile but I comes down to preference. Speed trucks tend to be the flavor of this thread though
Those trucks in stock form could not even out run a new Honda Civic. They make nice cruisers though as the SS 454 Sounds amazing with a small cam and exhaust, and same with the Ford. Yes they are "Sport" trucks, but remember that the Corvette had just 300 HP that year.

For perspective, my slow regular cab work truck model 2003 Sierra with a 4.8L V8 puts out 270HP where as the SS 454 only has 230HP.

The term "speed" needs to be used loosely here.

Back
Top Bottom