• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best .223 round for deer?

Don't try to out shoot your ability / shot placement is the key! bullet weight ? any weight that your rifle shoots best! a 22lr will drop any deer, 223 / 5.56 is traveling at Mach 3 has a big advantage. I have taken four over the years one with a AR-180 the other three with colts. all with FMJ
it is not a good idea to shoot deer with FMJ bullets, nor is ethical!!!

all kidding aside
the one you place through the neck or above

I shot a doe with a 12g slug at 15 yards in the neck. Through and through and she dropped, popped back up, and my buddy @wagon dropped her about 1000 yards away in another field....

Funny thing is we both shot the same one and didn't realize it till we recovered his...

Absolute true story!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

64 grain Winchester power point, approximately 200 yard shot.

A neck shot isn't always a sure thing. Deflating the lungs or hitting a chamber in the heart is......
Besides, tracking one after the shot is a part of the hunt.
I've followed some tough blood trails in my hunting career and those deer are the ones that stand out in my memories.

I shot a doe with a 12g slug at 15 yards in the neck. Through and through and she dropped, popped back up, and my buddy @wagon dropped her about 1000 yards away in another field....

Funny thing is we both shot the same one and didn't realize it till we recovered his...

Absolute true story!

I too have a 1/2 mile tracking story from a "neck shot" with a .30-06 ballistic tip that hit just under the spine no less, Trachea was hanging out a hole the size of a cantaloupe the whole way. wont make that mistake again.

Absolute true story!
A hit in "no man's land". It happens.

I'm sure there are many great bullets out there, but for the past several years I have had good success with Winchester 64 grain powermax. It is a bonded hollow point.

images

I have three mounts on my wall, all with 223/5.56 silver 62 gr HP . One went about 50 yds ... tumbling down a hill. Shot placement don't care about caliber.

Back
Top Bottom