• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handgun for a rank novice?

download (5).jpg
safest for everybody

Then what is a Glock?

DAO= Double Action Only.

A Glock is not DAO.

A Glock uses a hybrid action in which the internal striker is partially cocked by the movement of the slide. When the trigger is pulled the first pressure completes the cocking action before the striker is released. This gives the Glock the safety of a self-cocking or double action pistol, but with a trigger pull which is only a bit heavier than a single action, and is consistent for every shot.

Glock calls this their Safe Action, but when it was first introduced in the Steyr M1907 it was called a “hesitation lock”. It was a particular selling point, as the M1907 pistol was meant for the Austrian cavalry, who had been reluctant to adopt a single-action semiautomatic pistol. They felt that with the single-action, there was the risk of an accidental discharge, or several, when used by a mounted man.

From The Firing Line Forums (2020):
"The Glock system does not incorporate a pre-set striker like a SAO firearm. The Glock is a DAO system. It may not be what you're used to as being called a DAO trigger, but pulling the trigger pulls back the striker a bit before releasing it. You could call it a short DAO trigger pull."

I would not call the Glock a true DAO, because the striker is partially cocked by the rearward movement of the slide.

A true DAO semi-auto has “second strike” capability. The Glock does not have second strike capability, therefore it is not a true DAO.

I explained it much better just above.

1st answer nailed it. What is his budget?
An older Brazilian taurus 65 in 357 4" barrel would leave enough cash left over for a safety lesson, a few boxes of hollow points and some range time to hopefully learn something better than to go in Atlanta after dark because your job "requires" it, and church is still free.
If he can find one the older Rossi ( Before Taurus got ahold of them ) like the pic I posted make excellent guns. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. Really, truth be told Taurus isn't all that bad in the revolver dept.. I love the PT 1911 for upgrading after inspecting it before buying it. People just like giving them Crap. Some of there guns are good and some are bad. Not exactly foreign to any manufacturer. Bar a select few.

That getting shot in the foot is no joke. This cop that worked around Grady back in the '70s was trying to keep an attacker off him while he got his gun out, well he ended up shooting himself in the foot but since his foot was up against the bad guy the bad guy went down. I think he went down too.

Back
Top Bottom