• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
I'd recommend you steer clear of Leupold. I run a shooting school where I do a lot of long range/precision rifle/Sniper courses. We have more issues with Leupold than all other brands combined.

Like the man said above, if we know a budget in dollars we can more easily recommend a specific scope of scope line. I'll make no bones about being a Nightforce fan, but even their prices range from under $1,000 to over $3,000. I've seen several NF ATACR 5-25x56mm SFP's pop up here on the ODT for around $2,000.
Understandable, thanks for the input. Yeah anywhere between 1000-2000 would sound logical for me. Would it be cheaper to go through NF if I'm a LEO? I heard they give military and LEO discounts. I also heard vortex does a hefty discount. But then again from more research I'm doing I'm leaning more towards NF

Understandable, thanks for the input. Yeah anywhere between 1000-2000 would sound logical for me. Would it be cheaper to go through NF if I'm a LEO? I heard they give military and LEO discounts. I also heard vortex does a hefty discount. But then again from more research I'm doing I'm leaning more towards NF
Good plan! There are quite a few very nice NF available for between 1000 and 2000. All of the SHVs and most of the NXSs. Go to their web site and check out all of the options available in power, objective lens size, illumination and, very importantly, reticle. Choose the reticle carefully, because once you start training on a specific type, it's going to be easiest to stick to it on your future optics purchases. The two most common are Millirad (Mildot) and Minute of Angle (MOA). I think the majority of long range precision shooters use Mildot, but I'm an MOA guy. It's just easier math for me.

http://nightforceoptics.com/

Mildot V MOA reticle:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/20/mil-vs-moa-an-objective-comparison/

For price comparison on new NF scopes, check out www.midwayUSA.com They carry pretty much all of them. Use the drop-down lists on the left of the screen to zero in on specific features or just type in "Nightforce" in the search bar at the top and it will take you all of them. Reticle options will be available once you open the file on a specific scope.

NF controls retail price closely and you aren't going to find much variation from retailer to retailer. At least I haven't.

A Night Force ATACR would be my first choice followed by a Vortex Rasor AMG all of the 5-25 variety, if those are a little to expensive for your budget, I would recommend a Gen2 Vortex Viper 6-24

A Night Force ATACR would be my first choice followed by a Vortex Rasor AMG all of the 5-25 variety, if those are a little to expensive for your budget, I would recommend a Gen2 Vortex Viper 6-24
There is a huge price and quality jump between those two options. The NF SHV and NSX fill that gap.

Just look through the scope you are buying before you pull the trigger ( no pun intended ). I was at the 200 yard range at River Bend Club shooing a 308 I had at the time. It was a 24 inch bull barrel AR10 and was very accurate. I would hold under 1 MOA at 200. I was using a Nikon M-308. It's a 4-16x40 scope and mount combo for around 600. The gentleman next to me was shooting with a 1,500 Trijicon or Night Force on the same caliber rifle. I had heard that those scopes were the bee knee's so I ask him could I put a few rounds through his rifle and see what the That scope was all about. So we traded places and shot each others gun. He made the remark that a clear scope. So we went back and forth and looked through each scope back to back and we both declared the Nikon had greater light transmission and clearer glass. He said he was going to sent that one back and get another. If you want a good reference scope look through the one you pick and then look through the Nikon M-308. I agree there are better scopes out there than that one but it's a damn good scope to compare what you buying with. It is real hard to beat Nikon clarity and light transmission. So just look through both before you buy. I do know it was one of those two but for the money It should have blown the Nikon out of the water but it didn't. Moral of the story is definitely go and look through multiple scopes before you invest that much in one. Don't just rely on reviews and recommendations. Don't order one over the internet until you have looked through it at a retailer.

One thing I do agree on is you do need to spend a chunk of change to get a real good long range scope. It should not only be clear and bright. It should be almost impossible to knock it out of zero and should be able to return to zero perfectly after a full turn or two of the turret. Also check eye relief on the one you are looking at as well. It should also have large turrets with positive clicks. I would skim through a Long Range Shooting Forum and see what scope keeps popping up as a contender. Good luck with your search and have fun with it. Check out the Bushnell Elite TAC DMR. Bushnell has been putting out some real contenders in the long range arena.

There's a couple of Nightforce scopes for sale here, also checkout the riflescope trader on Facebook. For sub 2000 look for a Used NF NXS or get a DMR Gen 2. Before I would stick a lot of money in glass for your RPR make sure it shoots first.

Just look through the scope you are buying before you pull the trigger ( no pun intended ). I was at the 200 yard range at River Bend Club shooing a 308 I had at the time. It was a 24 inch bull barrel AR10 and was very accurate. I would hold under 1 MOA at 200. I was using a Nikon M-308. It's a 4-16x40 scope and mount combo for around 600. The gentleman next to me was shooting with a 1,500 Trijicon or Night Force on the same caliber rifle. I had heard that those scopes were the bee knee's so I ask him could I put a few rounds through his rifle and see what the That scope was all about. So we traded places and shot each others gun. He made the remark that a clear scope. So we went back and forth and looked through each scope back to back and we both declared the Nikon had greater light transmission and clearer glass. He said he was going to sent that one back and get another. If you want a good reference scope look through the one you pick and then look through the Nikon M-308. I agree there are better scopes out there than that one but it's a damn good scope to compare what you buying with. It is real hard to beat Nikon clarity and light transmission. So just look through both before you buy. I do know it was one of those two but for the money It should have blown the Nikon out of the water but it didn't. Moral of the story is definitely go and look through multiple scopes before you invest that much in one. Don't just rely on reviews and recommendations. Don't order one over the internet until you have looked through it at a retailer.

One thing I do agree on is you do need to spend a chunk of change to get a real good long range scope. It should not only be clear and bright. It should be almost impossible to knock it out of zero and should be able to return to zero perfectly after a full turn or two of the turret. Also check eye relief on the one you are looking at as well. It should also have large turrets with positive clicks. I would skim through a Long Range Shooting Forum and see what scope keeps popping up as a contender. Good luck with your search and have fun with it. Check out the Bushnell Elite TAC DMR. Bushnell has been putting out some real contenders in the long range arena.

How many MOAs of adjustment does the Nikon have? How many MOAs does it take for a 175 grain bullet to reach 1000? even with a 20 MOA base the OP would be pushing it.

Back
Top Bottom