• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
I'm on the range with students several times a month, looking through all sorts of optics, at all times of day and night, in all sorts of weather. A lot of less expensive scopes are "fair weather" scopes.....nice to look through in the middle of day on your flat, KD range, but when you have it out during dusk/dawn, fog, inclement weather, etc., they fall flat.

Then try and pick up color/contrast with them. Again, they work fine on the sunny, flat, KD range when you're shooting at paper targets or painted steel, but try to find a target that doesn't want to be found, one that blends into the background. Or look at several targets that are at similar distances and try to pick out which one is closest.

Now set aside optical clarity and look at ruggedness, reliability, and repeatability. Dial the scope from your zero out to 1,000yds + and back on a regular basis. Run some Box Drills and Ladder Tests with it.

There's a reason why expensive scopes cost so much and cheaper scopes.......do not.

You are exactly correct. Past two matches I had a hard time seeing a couple of smaller plates after the paint was shot off, that's why Im upgrading again for next year.

I will agree with that but a 2,000 dollar scope should beat a 500 dollar scope in every area. Hands down. It should be better in every aspect fair weather, inclement, foggy, rain, dusk,dawn or whatever you got.

I will agree with that but a 2,000 dollar scope should beat a 500 dollar scope in every area. Hands down. It should be better in every aspect fair weather, inclement, foggy, rain, dusk,dawn or whatever you got.
They do. It's just more obvious to an uneducated eye in adverse conditions. Take that 500 dollar scope and in perfect conditions set up on a target at 1000 yards with a 0.5 MOA X ring with the scope at 10X. Now do the same thing immediately after with the 2000 dollar scope. There will be no doubt about the difference in quality. That's just addressing the optical quality.

Now take both scopes after 500 rounds have been shot with them mounted on a high power rifle and do a box test with both scopes at 500 yards. Again the difference in quality will be obvious.

Scopes that are coming out of LOW Japan facility are what you will want in that 1k-2k price range. Those are Bushnell Elite, Vortex Razors, Nightforce, EOTech Vudu's and I believe the Sig Tango 6's do as well. They all have excellent glass for the money and equally important track well. You will find a lot of people on here pushing Viper PST's, to me, that scope is severely lacking in the glass department, even in the daytime, as are Leupold Mark 6's. I attended in person a comparison review with most of the scopes listed and got to look at resolution charts through them all. The Leupold was dead last. If you can find any of those first few I listed used, I wouldn't hesitate to buy. In fact, if you want a 3.5-18 Vudu in MRAD and money is an issue, I will sell you one of mine, lightly used for $1100 which is BELOW dealer cost. You can't find them online anywhere below $1699. Good luck in your search whatever you choose. You got some good advice from several people here.
For sure! Thanks again guys, this helped a tonnnnn.

I have a friend selling his sig tango4 4-16x44 for 599, everywhere I look they are in the 899 range so I might roll with that for now until I find the NF I want and just trade/sell up. Going to shops and looking in scopes was, no pun intended, eye opening lol some of those ones you guys recommended were way better than the ones I saw competitively priced. It's just hard to find NF to look at bc appearntly no one carries them due to a wholesale issue.

I have a friend selling his sig tango4 4-16x44 for 599, everywhere I look they are in the 899 range so I might roll with that for now until I find the NF I want and just trade/sell up. Going to shops and looking in scopes was, no pun intended, eye opening lol some of those ones you guys recommended were way better than the ones I saw competitively priced. It's just hard to find NF to look at bc appearntly no one carries them due to a wholesale issue.
Bass Pro has them and will price match on line pricing as long as it's in stock and not an auction site. Call before you go to make sure they have the one you want.

Back
Top Bottom