• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bill of Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me as well... don't care either way. I don't require one when I sell / trade although I've signed a few :)

ive signed quite a few myself. Some have asked for personal info, that got a simple no. "well ok, will you at least sign" sure. Scribble something on there, shake hands and roll out. If it makes you feel better ill sign it for your piece of mind.

Some folks who would not still have their firearms without the BOS: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?t=153712&highlight=discharge

There is nothing in GA code that requires you to provide proof of ownership to get property back that was seized from you unless it was reported as stolen. At least I can't find it anywhere.

In the case mentioned in the other thread I have a feeling that either the cops are making stuff up or the OP is.

There should be a very clear paper trail as to whom the firearm was seized from. That is the only individual who is allowed to retrieve the item from the police. All you have to do is show proof of identification. At least that is how I interpret the laws.

fc03.deviantart.net_fs71_i_2011_122_7_8_beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman_d3fead4.jpg

There is nothing in GA code that requires you to provide proof of ownership to get property back that was seized from you unless it was reported as stolen. At least I can't find it anywhere.

In the case mentioned in the other thread I have a feeling that either the cops are making stuff up or the OP is.

There should be a very clear paper trail as to whom the firearm was seized from. That is the only individual who is allowed to retrieve the item from the police. All you have to do is show proof of identification. At least that is how I interpret the laws.

I'm in the same exact scenario as we speak with dekalb county. my firearm is seized in property room and i have to get a release form from the detective just because i have a BOS and not a receipt. I completely agree with the paper trail; funny u mentioned this because the damn detective faxed the wrong name on the release form this thursday - i'm dead serious! AND he's off-duty on fridays so i have to wait till monday to retrieve MY firearm that's not part of any investigation. i'm outraged by this inadequate dept. perhaps a word with GCO?!

<>endRant</>

Last edited:
I'm in the same exact scenario as we speak with dekalb county. my firearm is seized in property room and i have to get a release form from the detective just because i have a BOS and not a receipt. I completely agree with the paper trail; funny u mentioned this because the damn detective faxed the wrong name on the release form this thursday - i'm dead serious! AND he's off-duty on fridays so i have to wait till monday to retrieve MY firearm that's not part of any investigation. i'm outraged by this inadequate dept. perhaps a word with GCO?!

<>endRant</>

Why was it "seized"?

Willingness to provide or obtain basic info ie name Contact number Date and sales amount gives you enough credible facts to verify that you sold a Gun or bought a gun, usefull if you ever get into a situation where "big Brother" wants to know where a gun you purchased either came from or went. you are a at least showing a modicum of "Due Care" in getting the basic info on a bill of sale and or sales receipt. The sales price on a Bill of Sale is useful if you get into a situation where the item you purchased turns out to be stolen goods. The price shows you paid a reasonable amount for it which is a valid defense against a charge of theft by receiving stolen property. If you are offered that $1000.00 Shutzenboomer for $100.00 no questions asked and no paperwork allowed and you then later get into a bind over having it in your possession you might have problems convincing "Big Brother" you were ignorant as of the guns past whereas you bought it for $350.00 with basic Bill of Sale Info you show due care in "making sure" your transaction has a reasonable chance of being legit or at least you not taking the hit if it turns out it is not legit. There is no better way to get undue "big brother" interest than buying a weapon from "Some Dude" for an unbelievable price and it turns out the gun came from a burglary, was used in a homicide ect. I have been on both sides of this issue so trust me when I say a little paper trail is worth its weight in gold.

I ________, hereby sell my Glock 27, .40 caliber, Ser#______ to __________ for the price of $.

This covers you in the event of an E-trace. Your signature and theirs at the bottom. You don't have to require ID, just their name and signature. And of course the date at the top. This isn't required, but bet your butt that it will cover yours!

I ________, hereby sell my Glock 27, .40 caliber, Ser#______ to __________ for the price of $.

This covers you in the event of an E-trace. Your signature and theirs at the bottom. You don't have to require ID, just their name and signature. And of course the date at the top. This isn't required, but bet your butt that it will cover yours!

Nice 1st post, welcome to ODT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom