• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BOB and EDC bag

I have an ALICE pack in the trunk of my car. I have a large hiking bag and a CFP-90 as my BOB's.

I like the ALICE pack. Have a couple that I use for special situations: whitewater rafting, short hunting/fishing trips, etc. I would still have my ALICE BOB but it was old and worn and I needed a replacement and something with a slightly larger capacity...the MARPAT come along at the right time and at the right price.

I just ordered this County Comm bag as an E&E bag. Intent for me is to keep some basic, simple supplies in an easy to carry bag that allows for greater mobility than a BOB. I am looking at carrying a pistol, mags, flashlight, small IFAK, some instant carbs and water, multitool, etc. I want to keep it at 10-12 pounds of less. Price is $24 and has MOLLE to attach to my BOB.

http://www.countycomm.com/MINEBAG2.htm
[Broken External Image]:

I would use "normal" looking backpacks....Heaven forbid you are in a city when SHTF. You want to blend in. Everyone is much more likely to jump you, if you look like you would have "survival" type stuff on you..ie. Military style backpacks, bags with molle on them etc Bag pictured above etc....

In this situation I would prefer to "be one of the sheep" until you can safely get away from the herd.....

Check out Red Rock packs. They had a group buy over at snipershide that I got in on and picked one up that I use when hunting. For under 50.00 with a bladder its a helluva bargain. Pack is very well built. Great size, not too big, or small. I have a link somewhere if I can find it I'll post.

I would use "normal" looking backpacks
+1
It really depends on your load-out. Some people have a way of making survival kits disappear into tiny little bags. Others have 50L packs filled to the brim with odds and ends that they think they might need.
If you're gonna keep it in your vehicle it can be as big as you'd like. If you're gonna be on foot, you'll want something tried and true that is comfortable to wear for extended periods.
Get all of your gear together and see how much stuff it ends up being. Then slim it down a little and use a pack that you can organize your things in.
I have friends with enormous cluttered BOB's and they can't even tell me everything that's in it. (I suggest a laminated list so you can skim it easily to remember what you've got.)
Also, try leaving a little bit of room in there. When TSHTF we are all going to become scavengers and we'll need a place to put things that we find along the way.
Just my .02, YMMV.
Good luck!

I would use "normal" looking backpacks....Heaven forbid you are in a city when SHTF. You want to blend in. Everyone is much more likely to jump you, if you look like you would have "survival" type stuff on you....

Who's going to be jumping you, and why would a regular walmart backpack make you less of a target? I think a survival type is less likely to get attacked because the wolves like easy targets.

As far as I go, I already do not blend in. My carrying a tan bag with straps isn't going to give me away.

I guess it all comes down to the scenario you anticipate. The EE bag for me is to get home or to more/better gear for longer term use.

My get home bag is a London Bridge surplus 3DAP that I picked up for cheap at a show. I love it to death although it is a little on the small side.

[Broken External Image]:

Right now it is at about 25 lbs, which includes 6L of water. I want to try and get it down to under 20 without ammo and free up some space as well. That weight was with my winter packing list, summer list should be a lot lighter.

One thing that I dont think was mentioned before is that as humans, we will ALWAYS fill a backpack no matter what the size. You can take a list of items and put them in a pack where they will barely fit, then unpack them and put them in a larger bag, and 99% of the time you cant stop thinking about the extra room you now have to stuff extra crap in. My advice would be to get the smallest bag you can that will fit your list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom