• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brownells BRN-22 Receiver

Thoughts compared to a standard ruger OEM receiver? The rail is nice, but is it worth upgrading to?

Once I get a chance to strip my factory rifle down I'll be able to compare it more.

I'm happy with it so far. I'll have to see how it runs

So, the final results.

Ive read that I may have to file down the bolt rail. I had to remove a little bit of material. Very slowly with a file. Got it wrapped up and assembled. After the fitting the bolt it was easy.

Compares well to the factory receiver. Machined very well on the inside and very smooth action. Put 20 rounds out to night and it ran like a champ. Huge improvement. Im very happy with it and it looks great. I need to get a larger bolt pin, as it just falls out, but I haven't installed my buffer again so it may be good.

I am not happy with the anodizing. It scratches very easily, I would have preferred cerakote or bluing.

20180621_203503.jpg

Clunky on the back end, but looks cool with the rail on it. I wonder why they didn't add another slot or two in the back and square it off. Also wondering what it would look like if you totally stripped it and ended up with a silver surface.

I've had to knock off a bit on a factory receiver to get the bolts to drop in as well. Only a couple of thousandths, but it was enough to prevent the bolt from going in properly.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! Waiting on the range test!

Clunky on the back end, but looks cool with the rail on it. I wonder why they didn't add another slot or two in the back and square it off. Also wondering what it would look like if you totally stripped it and ended up with a silver surface.

I've had to knock off a bit on a factory receiver to get the bolts to drop in as well. Only a couple of thousandths, but it was enough to prevent the bolt from going in properly.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! Waiting on the range test!

Very eager to get it to the range, but it may be a few days. If they were smart, I think offering cerakote on these would be amazing to add different colors. And, like you said a little clunky, but it flows well with the angles of the magpul stock.

Overall I'm happy. I wanted a receiver with a rail built in (I like the look) and for the price I think it cant be beat if you have some spare parts laying around.

And I have at least two Hogue overmold stocks lying around. I would be in business in no time.

Great. I had almost decided I didn't need to start a 10/22 project. Who could resist a $79.99 receiver? Any idea who is making the barrels? The 16in sporter version is interesting. Could be the start of my sub sonic only rifle.

Great. I had almost decided I didn't need to start a 10/22 project. Who could resist a $79.99 receiver? Any idea who is making the barrels? The 16in sporter version is interesting. Could be the start of my sub sonic only rifle.
According to the info on Brownell's website, the barrels are "proprietary" so it's possible they are making them themselves. I guess eventually that will come out.

Back
Top Bottom