• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

BS or no?

AKguy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
74   1
Reaction score
Now that Ford is getting closer to $14k off the XLT's, I've been talking numbers with a guy I've dealt with at Athens Ford before. He tells me there is no break in period on the basic engines (not the high performance stuff) and that they get run for approx. 30 hours before they leave the factory. He says you can go hard on the new Fords from mile 1. 30 hours of run time? Bull, I call bull.

Furthermore, he tells me full synthetic is no longer necessary and first oil change doesn't need to be done until 5,000 miles, and they use a synthetic blend.

I know times have changes, but I was raised that you need about 2,000 easy miles for break in and then change the oil at 2k. But I find it hard to believe that it's not detrimental to run an engine balls to the wall from the day you leave the lot.

Personally I would drive below 60mph for the first 1,500-2,000 miles and I would still use synthetic oil and I change my oil every 5,000 miles.

I am only saying this as I bought my truck (dodge ram) brand new in 07 and babied it the first couple thousand miles. I immediately changed the oil to synthetic and have changed it every 5,000 miles since. I have 160,000 miles on my truck and have not had (knock on wood) one single problem. It has been a fantastic truck.

I would do it again if I bought a new truck tomorrow but thats just me. Probably get some different opinions on this.

Now that Ford is getting closer to $14k off the XLT's, I've been talking numbers with a guy I've dealt with at Athens Ford before. He tells me there is no break in period on the basic engines (not the high performance stuff) and that they get run for approx. 30 hours before they leave the factory. He says you can go hard on the new Fords from mile 1. 30 hours of run time? Bull, I call bull.

Furthermore, he tells me full synthetic is no longer necessary and first oil change doesn't need to be done until 5,000 miles, and they use a synthetic blend.

I know times have changes, but I was raised that you need about 2,000 easy miles for break in and then change the oil at 2k. But I find it hard to believe that it's not detrimental to run an engine balls to the wall from the day you leave the lot.
The lack of break in is standard on most new engines. I still can't help but do it. Driving easy has never harmed an engine.

Per the Ford owners manual:

Breaking-In
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles (480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers).

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1448650&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

Manual also recommends using "Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP "

Also from the manual"
When to expect the message prompting you to change your oil
Interval
Vehicle use and example
7500-10000 miles (12000-16000 km) Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling
5000-7499 miles (8000-11999 km) Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation
3000-4999 miles (4800-7999 km) Extreme
Maximum load or towing Extreme hot or cold operation

My Dad has a 2011 and is religious about manufacturers recommendations. 125k trouble free miles later still going strong.

As for a 30 hour break in period before they leave factory, I doubt it. Those engines are pretty clean and don't even look heat distressed (exhaust for example) when they are new. Not to mention what a PITA it would be to hook up each and every engine and run it (think coolant, a way to spin it over/start it, oil, recovery, etc). I doubt they run at all until they hit the truck.

I use full synthetic, race shops tell me they can see noticeable wear improvement. As for break in... Blow or go! They build them to take abuse from the first mile.

Back
Top Bottom