BS or no?

The lack of break in is standard on most new engines. I still can't help but do it. Driving easy has never harmed an engine.

I bought a new Mustang 5.0 liter in 1995 and beat that biootch like a roommate that owed me money. Never had an issue with it for 13 years.

I drive a 2006 Explorer and have never put anything in it other than full synthetic. It as 215,000 miles on it and I've never had to spend a dime on the engine, just bearing assemblies.

I run Motorcraft synthetic blend and change my oil between 4-5k miles. I'd still do the break in period despite what the guy says

I really don't thin there is much of a difference in oils now. My 98 v6 mustang has 330k miles on 7-10k mile oil changes using conventional. I changed an upper intake gasket and it was amazingly clean inside. My wifes 96 explorer has 275k miles with similar or worse abuse.

The oils in the last 20 years do a much better job keeping the engine internals clean and not gunking up.

I bought a new Mustang 5.0 liter in 1995 and beat that biootch like a roommate that owed me money. Never had an issue with it for 13 years.

I drive a 2006 Explorer and have never put anything in it other than full synthetic. It as 215,000 miles on it and I've never had to spend a dime on the engine, just bearing assemblies.
Note to self, never buy a used vehicle from Palmettomoon. :p ;)
I've never had a mechanical repair on any vehicle I've bought new. Of the three current ones in the garage, that's 250,000 miles of driving. I did recently have a front hub assembly replaced on one 135k vehicle. I guess that counts.

I wouldn't try to beat the hell out of it, but I sure wouldn't keep it under 60 mph for the first X number of miles. But I don't break in barrels either. Let's buy something new and baby it until we can enjoy it? No thanks.

Break it in hard and it'll run hard.

The only person that will advise you of this, is the one that wants to sell you a new car or engine... I would love to see some empirical data on the effect of beating the dog crap out of an engine as soon as its out of the box, and its effect on long term wear and tear.

I work as an aircraft mechanic. There is a reason that manuals for reciprocating and Jet engines give very specific instructions for break in periods, which include power settings and times. Automotive engines are a bit more modern, but if the manual says don't put water in the oil, then don't do it. Some smart turbo nerd knows a reason, even though we may not.

Back
Top Bottom