• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

BS or no?

It's a fiesta for christ's sake...
Toyota and Honda don't seem to have a problem making high quality small cars ......

And the salesman telling you the engine get break in hours at the factory ?
Uh. No .
They slap it together and run it full throttle off the assembly line to the parking lot3 miles down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Built a 289 for a guy one time...nothing fancy, stock rods with ARP bolts, flat top pistons and a 292 comp cam. He asked me how hard can he turn and I told him to "rev it 'til it rains parts". He would spin it pretty hard. I think the nitrous finally did it in hahahaha

This isn't 1980. Engines and oils are much better. All of my BMWs get an oil change at 15k and never had a problem. The only people pushing 3k oil changes are the companies selling the oil and the quick change places which I avoid.

The "break in" for engines was because the lifters had to lap themselves with the cam. New roller cams don't require this. Used to if the cam wasn't broken in correctly it would wipe a cam lobe off and fill the engine with metal. No use to worry about it nowadays. If the oil system is primed, turn it loose.

The "break in" for engines was because the lifters had to lap themselves with the cam. New roller cams don't require this. Used to if the cam wasn't broken in correctly it would wipe a cam lobe off and fill the engine with metal. No use to worry about it nowadays. If the oil system is primed, turn it loose.
Word

Hmmm, and all this time, I have always thought that it was so the piston rings could seat themselves and the use of "Break In" oil or Fossil Fuels helped the rings to fill in and smooth out any imperfections on the Cylinder Walls. Guess I was wrong all this time. My understanding is that from the perfection of methods and new materials used, (ie, Steel Cylinder Sleeves in Aluminum Block Engines) omitted the "Break In' required for newer engines and they can run straight Synthetic or Synthetic Blended oils straight from the factory. That is, except my Harley, they still use Break In Oils in all 3 chambers.

Hmmm, and all this time, I have always thought that it was so the piston rings could seat themselves and the use of "Break In" oil or Fossil Fuels helped the rings to fill in and smooth out any imperfections on the Cylinder Walls. Guess I was wrong all this time. My understanding is that from the perfection of methods and new materials used, (ie, Steel Cylinder Sleeves in Aluminum Block Engines) omitted the "Break In' required for newer engines and they can run straight Synthetic or Synthetic Blended oils straight from the factory. That is, except my Harley, they still use Break In Oils in all 3 chambers.

These thoughts are not mine exclusively, but it is what an old man who built some insane race engines taught me. He said there is a very short "wear in" period for rings, as in minutes versus hours. The combustion pressure forces the compression ring(s) against the cylinder wall and the rings wear the high spots off and the cross hatch helps promote this wear in. He said if you have a roller cam, you should run the piss out of it as quickly as you can to promote this wear in and the more combustion pressure you have the better it works. Once the rings wear in and mate to the cylinder, that is the best they will ever perform. It is only down hill from there.

Back
Top Bottom