• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a Backyard Firepit

Landscape blocks from Home Depot, stacked and glued with liquid nails. You can make it any size you want, I think mine is ~5' diameter. Then lined with fire brick using mortar, and spray painted with BBQ paint. I dug out a ring and poured in a concrete foundation, prior to building the pit. I intended to cap it with some nice natural stone, 5 years later, I gave up on that idea. Lining with fireplace brick is key, that landscape block with spall!

View attachment 1594176
View attachment 1594175
When you say you poured a concrete foundation are you talking about a footer or is your entire area concreted inside like a floor?

I would like to see some more photos if anyone has some, please.

I plan to try and lay it out this weekend. I would like to pick up enough used landscape blocks if anyone has a bunch available.

When you say you poured a concrete foundation are you talking about a footer or is your entire area concreted inside like a floor?

I would like to see some more photos if anyone has some, please.

Footer, in a ring, just enough to set the block on. If you concrete the center, your wasting concrete, and you can't dig your pit deeper. Also, the concrete will spall if you burn on top of it.

Footer, in a ring, just enough to set the block on. If you concrete the center, your wasting concrete, and you can't dig your pit deeper. Also, the concrete will spall if you burn on top of it.
Thanks, good info. Got any ideas on used landscape blocks?

Landscape blocks from Home Depot, stacked and glued with liquid nails. You can make it any size you want, I think mine is ~5' diameter. Then lined with fire brick using mortar, and spray painted with BBQ paint. I dug out a ring and poured in a concrete foundation, prior to building the pit. I intended to cap it with some nice natural stone, 5 years later, I gave up on that idea. Lining with fireplace brick is key, that landscape block with spall!

View attachment 1594176
View attachment 1594175

I built one similar to this. I didn't use any footers. I put mine right on the dirt. I also dug around it about 2 feet all the way around and put pea gravel in it and put a metal border around it. It's held up for 4 or 5 years so far. I didn't line mine or paint the inside, but I will say that a few of mine have cracked in half but it's still standing. I think I spent about 100 bucks on the blocks.

Lowes sells a kit. It includes a metal ring. Look up instructions on their web site. 2 tubes of glue and bout 6 bags of gravel extra.
That is correct and Home Depot sells one as well. Neither of them is as large as I wanted to go and the ones that are seem to be to costly. I am in hopes that I can secure enough of the blocks that are used for free or a fraction of the cost on them new. I am sure there is a pile of them out there in someone's way. I will haul them away and not charge a red cent. WIN/WIN for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom