• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a reloading bench

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I want to build a bench. I saw a video on youtube where the guy used cabinets on each end, 2x4s, and then birch plywood on top. I'm just going to do something simpler, no cabinets but I'm curious to know whats a good size? I have a lot of stuff in my garage so I was thinking of doing something 5.5' x 24. Not sure about how tall it should be. Is your bench chair height or stool height? Any other ideas on materials? I just want it really strong, no flex in the table. Is 1" thick enough for the top? Alternatively I see that Stack On makes a reloading bench, but its a little too small I think.

Thanks for the tip. Thicker than the 2 plywood together.

Does anyone know if its OK that the legs and/or sides be flush with the top or should it be recessed or does it not matter? This is in regards to mounting the press. I dont want anything to interfere with anything moving.

It is best to leave a lip of around 4 inches on the front of the table. Makes mounting much easier.

I used a single sheet of 3/4" plywood cut in half, then doubled, glued and screwed together. It made mine measure 24" X 48" X 39" using only one cut. I framed the base using standard studs. As mentioned above, you'll need about a 4" overhang to make press mounting, and the use of "C" clamps easy. I framed to the edge on the short ends, and left 4"s overhang on both long sides. This will allow me to reverse it and use the back side down the road if need be. Mine measures 39" from the floor to the work surface.

Back
Top Bottom