• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a car at auction?

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
We're looking to change vehicles here soon, & I'm wondering, from those in the know, about buying at auction. We're looking mainly for a Highlander or 4 Runner, under $15k, preferably closer to $8-10k & under/near 100k miles. Yes, it will be a few years old to fit those parameters. My main questions are:

• Are public auto auctions worthwhile?
  • If so, which ones?
  • What do I need to know going in, & how best to prepare?
Thanks in advance.

Remember there is a buyers premium that you will pay and seller pays one also...

Go early and register, read their requirements closely when you bid and win that's where the journey will end...

You win the bid it's yours and normally once you buy, you bought. SOLD AS IS WHERE IT IS...

Go early and run your choice, and usually can drive it on the grounds...

Good luck, and wishing you well in your bidding quest, on your vehicle quest...

Good advice by yoteshooter. You also need to assume that it was not well maintained and will have a shorter lifespan than normal. Look at the fluids, if they are nasty/smell burnt or are non existent youre gonna want to pass or bid waaay low.

A. yes they are worth it.
B. find local ones and check them all out because yuou never know what will pop up where, also you can just watch bringatrailer and auction on one there. also funny enough i have had good luck with ebay motors.
c. best way to prepare is mindset. its easy to do just make sure you have the money and remember the premiums. biggest thing is not getting excited and taking your time. if you find one make sure you can get as good a look as possible. go ahead and research known problems and their costs to fix so you go ahead and have an idea in your head of what something my cost you. (there are many stories of guys buying something with an "easy fix" that turned into a nightmare expensive fix that they would have known had they just looked it up.) and be completely willing to walk away if the price isnt exactly what you want to pay. auctions are only worth it if you get a good deal, otherwise your taking a gamble for no reason.

I have heard some horror stories about auctions. There are regulars who are at every auction. When someone new shows up and bids, the car they are bidding on gets a few extra bids. Edging out any savings.

A friend in Tennessee paid someone to take her to a closed auction. The agreement was a fixed amount for her to pay cash for the vehicle she wanted. By the time it was over the local police were involved in the shenanigans and she didn't have the title for the vehicle she was driving.

Back
Top Bottom