• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying ATV out of state.

I bought a 2013 Honda Rancher from Southern Power Sports in November 2012 and my son bought two of them at the same time. We both financed them through Honda. No tax bill from ga. to this date.

it's all luck of the draw. they are a pretty big dealership and I've heard that they have been audited in the past by other states for tax reasons. I know at least one person who bought a couple of CRF50's when they blew them out a few years ago (he got one and he picked up a couple for friends in the area). About 2 years later he got a tax bill for them all. He was stuck paying the taxes on them even though he didn't "buy" all of them his name was on the paperwork. but pretty sure 90% of the time you are good to go, but it's always a possibility that in the future if someone from GA audits them to find what vehicles have been sold to GA residents you would be on the hook for the taxes.

It is definitely a way to beat the system. I have heard of them getting audited but the chances are slim. Personally I think it sucks because a customer can drive 4 hours and save 8% you cant compete with that. There isnt that much mark up . Thankfully the GATE card seems to even things out for local shops.

The shop I bought from told me IF they got audited, it would only be for the previous 2 years. So if you make it to the 2 year mark, you're in the clear and won't ever see a tax bill from GA.

This month makes 2 years for me...I think in fact Fri.

Back
Top Bottom