• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying Reloaded Ammo?

That's like finding a 9mm live round on the ground, leave it there ( well unless you have no other and zombie is on your a$$ ) best not shoot it,
could be RATHER HOT load.

Back in the summer when I got to the range and an older guy was getting ready to leave. He asked me what I was shooting, I told him .45. He smiled and said “here you go” and gave me a handful of .45acp. I politely thanked him, took them home, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and set them aside to reload. Didn’t want to seem ungrateful by not taking them but wasn’t taking a chance shooting them.

typically any time you receive reloaded ammo, your best bet is to treat them as components. Pull the bullets, dump the powder and make your own ammo (assuming you reload).

BUT it sometimes depends upon the cartridge. I got a bunch of 22 Hornet ammo a while ago of unknown manufacturer and components. I had planned on pulling them and just keeping the brass. Of course that took way too long, so I just started to shoot the stuff. I am pretty sure you can't stuff enough powder in the little case to do any damage to any modern rifle, and surprisingly the stuff is pretty accurate. So now I just take 30-50 rounds each time to the range and plink away with it and keep the brass. Much more fun than sitting in the basement pulling bullets. :)

I have never bought ($$) reloaded ammo,

but I've been given some along with guns that I've purchased,
also got reloaded ammo from the estates of friends and relatives that have passed away.

I shot at all -- or tried to.

Although there is some 223 soft point ammo that is a little tight in my two rifles' chambers m.

The brass must NOT have been full length resized, and the rifle it came from probably had a oversize chamber. So, this stuff is just sitting around waiting for eventual disassembly.

I have never bought ($$) reloaded ammo,

but I've been given some along with guns that I've purchased,
also got reloaded ammo from the estates of friends and relatives that have passed away.

I shot at all -- or tried to.

Although there is some 223 soft point ammo that is a little tight in my two rifles' chambers m.

The brass must NOT have been full length resized, and the rifle it came from probably had a oversize chamber. So, this stuff is just sitting around waiting for eventual disassembly.
Pull your decapping pin, lube, size and shoot. Done it a bunch using small base sizing dies in 5.56.

If an ODT individual was selling a firearm along with the ammo they reloaded, what stipulations would you require to feel safe shooting said ammo if you bought it?
I would remember that selling reloaded ammunition without an FFL is a felony. As much as we hate the Alphabet Soup people I personally dislike jail even more

If an ODT individual was selling a firearm along with the ammo they reloaded, what stipulations would you require to feel safe shooting said ammo if you bought it?
I wouldn’t do it.

bought some bulk ammo a while back from a guy on here, which we later found out was reloaded. Several round didn’t fire or return to battery.

Back
Top Bottom