• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

Color blindness is a big reason I shoot the bigger calibers, I have a very difficult time seeing blood on the ground. I have a Mark V in 300 Weatherby and that gun is about as smooth as it gets as far as shooting goes and I love shooting it....just don't like the cost of the ammo. My go to gun has been my Ruger 7mm, kicks like a mule but is a tack driver and best thing about that is there usually is no blood trailing after it's shot, just got to go pick it up from where it was last standing.

For Georgians who hunt nothing larger than 140lb whitetails within 125yds, why do so many choose calibers like .300WM over more moderate ones like .30-30, .243 and .308? Is it a caliber pissing match with fellow hunters or something?

I went hunting several years ago with some acquaintances out in NE Georgia and was the only one to have anything smaller than a 300 mag. What gives?

No good answer to this question.

I prefer to bow hunt in Georgia. Anthing over .308/.270 is just overkill. Unless you are shooting over 300 yds.

I shoot a 300 rsaum which is a competition caliber to the wsm have been for 20+ years but I also extensively trophy hunt, I like the caliber because it can turn a low percentage shot into a high one,I may only have one opportunity at the specific buck I’m after.i only head shoot the does so it doesn’t have any affect on wasting meat.

ITS ALL ABOUT SHOT PLACEMENT HAVE KILLED ALOT DEER OVER THE YEARS MISSED SOME TO BUT FOR ME NECK SHOT JUST WHERE THE NECK MEETS THE SHOULDER PUT THEIR THEY DROP ON THE SPOT YOU BREAK THE NECK HIT THE MAIN ARTEYS THEY GO DOWN NO TRACKING ETC. SHOULDER SHOTS ALOT TIMES THEY RUN SOME DISTANCE. CALIBER IF HAD CHOOSE ONE CALIBER ALL ROUND FOR 100 YARD SHOTS 7MM 08 WITH 140 OR 150 GRAIN SPIZTER BOAT TAIL SOFT POINT BULLET DOES THE JOB PLUS WHEN PUT THE SHOT WHERE I STATED LESS MEAT DAMAGED ONLY GET ABOUT 60 POUNDS OF USEABLE MEAT ON 150 POUND DEER. JUST MY OPINION AND OBSERVATIONS OVER THE YRS I DONT NEED A 300 MAG OR 7 MAG TO KILL WHITETAIL DEER

Back
Top Bottom