• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

My go to rifle is a 300 WSM, which has similar ballistics to a 300 Win Mag. I know this rifle very well and am comfortable and confidant with it. I'm fast and accurate with it. It's more than needed for Georgia Whitetails at reasonably close range and with a good shot angle. However, what happens if I'm carrying a lighter rifle and have a chance at the buck of a lifetime, but it's a poor angle and at 350 yards? I would have to pass on the shot. I know that 300 WSM with 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets will do the job, even if all I have is a Texas Heart shot. It also means I'm better prepared for other unusual situations.

Before anyone says something like, "How often would you need that?" Several years ago I was able to deflect the charge of a 415lb hog through brush at damn near point blank range with that 300 WSM. I'm not at all confidant a lighter caliber would have had the same effect.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

ITS ALL ABOUT SHOT PLACEMENT HAVE KILLED ALOT DEER OVER THE YEARS MISSED SOME TO BUT FOR ME NECK SHOT JUST WHERE THE NECK MEETS THE SHOULDER PUT THEIR THEY DROP ON THE SPOT YOU BREAK THE NECK HIT THE MAIN ARTEYS THEY GO DOWN NO TRACKING ETC. SHOULDER SHOTS ALOT TIMES THEY RUN SOME DISTANCE. CALIBER IF HAD CHOOSE ONE CALIBER ALL ROUND FOR 100 YARD SHOTS 7MM 08 WITH 140 OR 150 GRAIN SPIZTER BOAT TAIL SOFT POINT BULLET DOES THE JOB PLUS WHEN PUT THE SHOT WHERE I STATED LESS MEAT DAMAGED ONLY GET ABOUT 60 POUNDS OF USEABLE MEAT ON 150 POUND DEER. JUST MY OPINION AND OBSERVATIONS OVER THE YRS I DONT NEED A 300 MAG OR 7 MAG TO KILL WHITETAIL DEER
Does MuleShoe MuleShoe have a second account?

I think it boils down to what you are confident with. I have hunted with smaller cartridges and had to pass opportunities that I would have taken with a larger one. That said in my current hunting situation the gun that comes out of the safe is either a .308 or a .243. I have confidence that within the range I am likely to be shooting either of these will do the job if I do my part. If I were hunting bean fields I would opt for a cartridge in the .300 mag range that would maintain sufficient energy over a longer range. At a max of 200 yards and the likelihood of 40-80 yards that just isn't necessary.

I have most always used my Model 70 Winchester .243. I've put many deer in the freezer with it, and never has one moved more than a foot from where I shot it. Drops them like a sledgehammer. No big meat loss. Been with several that use .300 rem mag, .300 weatherby mag, 7mm mag. etc. They usually are blowing holes through them (deer) and are Not getting a good Kill Shot on the deer to start with. Had a Guy that used to work with us that used a 30.06 w/ 220gr. bullets, would come in Mondays bragging about how many he shot and couldn't find, he'd brag, Lots of Blood, Hair and Bone, No Deer! I personally hate these kind of hunters! Some of it has to do with what type of area your hunting, open field mixed woods, heavy brush. That's usually when I decide what caliber I intend to use.

I used a 257 Roberts with 117 gr bullet the last 30 years that I hunted, never lost a deer or had to track one drt! Never had a shot over225 yards ! Mauser action 20 in light barrel timney trigger 2.5 power weaver scope weighs little under 5 pounds can tote all day long!

Back
Top Bottom