• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calibers Ranked

Caliber debates are pointless when gun type, barrel length, specific bullet weight, specific ammo type, and many other factors are not even considered. Yes, any .44mag will be more powerful than .22lr, but in most cases the debates are completely bogus.

Look at a box of .22lr and read the fps on the label. It is a guarantee that if you shoot that exact round through a NAA .22 revolver using a chronograph it will be considerably slower. Why? Because the factory tested it through a rifle, not a mini revolver....You want to see .380 acp carry ammo perform effectively? Shoot it through a 3.5" barrel instead of a 2" barrel. The difference will surprise you.

Which do you think is superior?

Depending on the ammo choice and barrel length, results will vary, but in terms of sheer power, the Sig wins, easily. The average .357 Sig through a 4" barrel has a velocity of 1,400 fps. Some of them exceed 1500 fps. The hottest .45 doesn't even touch the lowest rated .357 Sig in terms of power, especially when fired through a gun of the same barrel length. And I like .45 acp, so I'm not biased and don't really care, but the Sig round is a very powerful handgun round. Considerably more powerful than .45...Effectiveness is a bad choice of words and I should not have used it, because the bullet selections are way different between the two rounds, and the average .45 shooter will most likely be using 200-230gr pills, while the average .357 Sig shooter will be using 125 gr pills. Too many variables and scenarios to list all the possible differences. Both can be very effective, for handgun rounds, but in terms of sheer power, yes, I stand by the statement the .357 wins hands down.

Didn't realize your caliber debate thread was original.

Theres a nice little button you can click called ignore to spare you from future frustration. Feel free to avoid threads labled caliber wars if you are unable to find the button. If however you feel like entering, at least try to contribute something. I understand you may not have enough knowledge to form an opinion or you may not care. If you dont care please avoid as described. If you do care please share. That said, ill probably not see your future post because Im going to see if I can find the ignore button.

Back
Top Bottom