• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Camping recipes?

hawk-eye

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
Going to Bert Adams this weekend with my son. He is doing his own cooking and such with his patrol.
However, the old farts(adults) need something other than raman noodles and hot dogs. I would like to try something out that is sort of non traditional for camping. Any good camping recipes out there?

Pinterest. I hate saying it but have your wife/girlfriend check it out.

My wife has found tons of amazing foods that can be made with minimal equipment. Some require prep work at home some don't. There are recipes for full out gourmet dinners made on campfire, not a grill or propane stove, a real camp fire....

Personal favorite, ice cream cone smores. They can be filled with almost anything, made before the trip and tossed on the fire when needed.

in scouts the two we would always do were A. hobo meals which was just take everything throw it in some aluminum foil wrap it up tight and throw it on the fire for awhile, it will keep all the juices in and is amazing, normally use chicken or steak with whatever fruit or veggies you want. Second was brown bears, take some canned biscuts and stretch and wrap them around a wooden dowel rod cook over a fire until golden then cover in melted butter and brown sugar and cinnamon

Bannana boats. Peel back one slice carve out sliver of banana replace with marshmallows and chocolate. Wrap in foil and put in coals for 10 minutes.

Best food ever put in your mouth.

Bacon and eggs in a bag. Use a brown lunch bag, line with strips of bacon, crack in 2 eggs. Hang bag from stick over the fire for 10-15 minutes. It won't burn but will cook it all.

Pouch meals. Wrap hamburger and your choice of veggies in foil pouch. Lay in fire. Flip after 5 minutes. 5 minutes later eat.

If you really want to go all out. Lobster wrapped in wet newspaper. Dig small pit and fill with stones. Build a fire and let coals burn down. Wrap lobster in 20 layers of wet newspaper. Lay in coals and cover with dirt. About 15-20 minutes later you have a perfectly steamed lobster. This works with clams and crabs also. We used to do it on Boy Scout camping trips where meals were judged. We always won. Haha

Dutch oven. Throw stuff in. Eat.

I like to fry up some bacon, sausage, and hash browns. Dump into Dutch oven and cook with eggs. Toss in some onions, green peppers, etc.

I have a dutch oven cook book from scouting in the 90's that I still use like jburton3 jburton3 said.

Hobo's are the best potatoes, onion, carrots chopped with ground beef a lil salt and pepper roll in aluminum and throw on the coals of the fire is amazing as CBH13 CBH13 said super easy

We always make some of my good ol BBQ rat over the camp fire.
BBQ Rat.jpg

forgot to add one thing to make things easier is premixing and putting things in water bottles, we normally will make things like pancake mix at the house and just pour it in to a water bottle that way you just pour it when your ready to cook.

Back
Top Bottom