• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a sig brace for an AK be used for OAL?

I've done it previously with an AR pistol and a kak extended buffer tube to get an OAL of over 26" and per the ATF that is legal for a vfg. I'm just not sure if I can include the sig brace tube since its not a necessary part for the ak pistol to function.
10689985_10201870973175080_1125756950356039832_n.jpg

According to further research the OAL would have to include items "permanently" attached. IE, screwing on a suppressor to make it 26" would not work. Not sure if the Sig brace would meet the requirement.

In my (admittedly un-credentialed) opinion, both set ups that you are discussing are illegal. To start with the PAP: the brace is easily removable and is also, as you mentioned, not necessary for functionality. Things must be "permanent" to count as OAL length. It can not be included in the overall length of the pistol anymore than if you duct taped a stick to the receiver and used that.

Now, as to the AR, the ATF "ruling" on the pistol over 26" being legal to have a VFG.... The product that started all of this was the Franklin Armory XO-26. They have a letter from the ATF allowing them to manufacture that "pistol" as a "weapon" and since the attachment of VFG's is not governed for "weapons," they can manufacture it with a VFG and not run afould of the ATF. Unless I owned a Franklin Armory XO-26, I would never put a VFG on an AR pistol.

In my (admittedly un-credentialed) opinion, both set ups that you are discussing are illegal. To start with the PAP: the brace is easily removable and is also, as you mentioned, not necessary for functionality. Things must be "permanent" to count as OAL length. It can not be included in the overall length of the pistol anymore than if you duct taped a stick to the receiver and used that. Now, as to the AR, the ATF "ruling" on the pistol over 26" being legal to have a VFG. The product that started all of this was the Franklin Armory XO-26. They have a letter from the ATF allowing them to manufacture that "pistol" as a "weapon" and since the attachment of VFG's do not apply to "weapons," they can manufacture it with one. Unless I owned a Franklin Armory XO-26, I would never put a VFG on an AR pistol.
In the open letter from the ATF on the subject of the Franklin armory ruling, it clearly states that one can manufacture a similar weapon legally.

In the open letter from the ATF on the subject of the Franklin armory ruling, it clearly states that one can manufacture a similar weapon legally.
You must have a read a different letter than I did. Never once in the Franklin Letter that I read did the ATF say anything about anyone other than Franklin manufacturing a "firearm" like this.

That is indeed a different letter than I read and it does indeed say that anyone can copy what Franklin did. I was working off of the ATF letter to Franklin. I didn't know that there was another one out there.

Still...I wouldn't want it in my safe. You're already flirting with the line, you don't have a letter from the ATF, and you have a sig brace.

All I envision is the conversation ending in, "No officer, I swear, I read something on the internet by some lawyer that said it was OK." You may be right, and you may be wrong. I look at it this way. $200 for the stamp is great insurance against 10 years in prison or a potential multiple thousand dollar lawsuit and civil case later.

Back
Top Bottom