• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 yr old carry a shotgun in his car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
53   0
Reaction score
I am getting my 18 yr old son one of those Remington Tac14 shotguns for Christmas. He wants to be able to carry it in his car with him.(not to school of course)

Is this legal? Or is it a 12 juror or 6 pall bearers type of scenario?

Under Georgia gun law, it is deemed as unlawful for a person of under the age of 18 to possess a handgun. Consequently, it is illegal for any person to give, sell, or transfer a handgun to anyone under the age of 18. However, there are exceptions in which a minor may possess a handgun. A minor may be in possession of a handgun with the permission of a parent, legal guardian, or under the supervision of a qualified or certified instructor, or professional.

Based upon the contingency of permission by an adult, a minor may possess a handgun if he/she is attending a firearm education or safety course. This also includes if the minor is engaged in activities such as hunting, lawful sporting events, shooting competitions, or fishing.

While traveling to and from such events, locations, or activities, a minor may posses a handgun in a private vehicle as long as the weapon is not loaded. In situations such as hunting, trapping, or fishing, the handgun must be in plain sight and fully exposed if it is loaded. Possession is also allowed to minors if he/she is on property under the supervision of a parent or guardian, and he/she has full permission to possess the handgun.

Minors that have been convicted of violence-related crimes are entirely barred from being able to bear a handgun or other firearms. Georgia gun law states that any individual having been convicted of a felony crime is prohibited to possess or transport any shotgun, rifle, or handgun.

In order to carry a handgun or another type of concealable firearm, Georgia gun law requires an individual to obtain a license or permit to carry. The license allows a person to carry a handgun openly, either in a holster or similar device, which can then be concealed by clothing, a purse, suitcase, or other type of container. This also includes concealment in a motor vehicle. Those wishing to obtain a license to carry a handgun must be over the age of 21, and not meet the following criteria:

Convicted of a felony that has not been officially pardoned by the necessary agencies or officials.

Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of a violent nature in the prior five years.

Convicted of unlawful weapons carrying charge in the past three years.

Convicted of charges relating to drug or substance abuse.

Been institutionalized in a facility for mental instability or drug and/or alcohol abuse.

The application must be submitted to the proper law enforcement agency, which will then conduct a federal and state criminal background check. If there are no negative statements or history on an applicants record, a judge issues the license to carry within 60 days of receipt of application.

A judge also has the discretion to grant a license to carry to those who have been committed to a mental hospital or have a history of drug and alcohol abuse. The judge will seek the recommendations of the officials or personnel of such institutions, and then may decide to grant or deny the application to carry concealed weapons.

The license remains valid for a period of five years, and is taken under oath to a judge. It is not necessary to obtain the carry license if the possession of a firearm is within the limits of a person's home or place of business. This also extends to the transportation of a firearm, as long it is in plain view or stored in a glove compartment; if unloaded, the firearm must be separate from any ammunition and secured in a case.

more info!

https://www.google.com/url?

sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geo...3DOIQFghyMA4&usg=AOvVaw3X_i9HxN5jjMRvU-gm9jRV

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...3DOIQFghlMA0&usg=AOvVaw2K_OJUdB3HMK6w7UpgFw_L

If he can legally own a shotgun he should be able to keep it in his car.
The car isn't technically an 'extension' of your home, I've never seen it worded that way in the code, it lists home, car, place of business; it doesn't say extension.
But I'm not a lawyer and someone on the ODT is and even wrote a book about GA gun laws, so he might know.

I would hesitate to let an 18 year old drive around with a short barreled shotgun, even though the overall length keeps it legal do you really want him to have to explain that to an LEO on the side of the road?

Under Georgia gun law, it is deemed as unlawful for a person of under the age of 18 to possess a handgun. Consequently, it is illegal for any person to give, sell, or transfer a handgun to anyone under the age of 18. However, there are exceptions in which a minor may possess a handgun. A minor may be in possession of a handgun with the permission of a parent, legal guardian, or under the supervision of a qualified or certified instructor, or professional.

Based upon the contingency of permission by an adult, a minor may possess a handgun if he/she is attending a firearm education or safety course. This also includes if the minor is engaged in activities such as hunting, lawful sporting events, shooting competitions, or fishing.

While traveling to and from such events, locations, or activities, a minor may posses a handgun in a private vehicle as long as the weapon is not loaded. In situations such as hunting, trapping, or fishing, the handgun must be in plain sight and fully exposed if it is loaded. Possession is also allowed to minors if he/she is on property under the supervision of a parent or guardian, and he/she has full permission to possess the handgun.

Minors that have been convicted of violence-related crimes are entirely barred from being able to bear a handgun or other firearms. Georgia gun law states that any individual having been convicted of a felony crime is prohibited to possess or transport any shotgun, rifle, or handgun.

In order to carry a handgun or another type of concealable firearm, Georgia gun law requires an individual to obtain a license or permit to carry. The license allows a person to carry a handgun openly, either in a holster or similar device, which can then be concealed by clothing, a purse, suitcase, or other type of container. This also includes concealment in a motor vehicle. Those wishing to obtain a license to carry a handgun must be over the age of 21, and not meet the following criteria:

Convicted of a felony that has not been officially pardoned by the necessary agencies or officials.

Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of a violent nature in the prior five years.

Convicted of unlawful weapons carrying charge in the past three years.

Convicted of charges relating to drug or substance abuse.

Been institutionalized in a facility for mental instability or drug and/or alcohol abuse.

The application must be submitted to the proper law enforcement agency, which will then conduct a federal and state criminal background check. If there are no negative statements or history on an applicants record, a judge issues the license to carry within 60 days of receipt of application.

A judge also has the discretion to grant a license to carry to those who have been committed to a mental hospital or have a history of drug and alcohol abuse. The judge will seek the recommendations of the officials or personnel of such institutions, and then may decide to grant or deny the application to carry concealed weapons.

The license remains valid for a period of five years, and is taken under oath to a judge. It is not necessary to obtain the carry license if the possession of a firearm is within the limits of a person's home or place of business. This also extends to the transportation of a firearm, as long it is in plain view or stored in a glove compartment; if unloaded, the firearm must be separate from any ammunition and secured in a case.

more info!

https://www.google.com/url?

sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geo...3DOIQFghyMA4&usg=AOvVaw3X_i9HxN5jjMRvU-gm9jRV

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...3DOIQFghlMA0&usg=AOvVaw2K_OJUdB3HMK6w7UpgFw_L

So is the Tac14 a handgun or a shotgun? I still don't know after reading this if he can legally carry it in his vehicle.

If he can legally own a shotgun he should be able to keep it in his car.
The car isn't technically an 'extension' of your home, I've never seen it worded that way in the code, it lists home, car, place of business; it doesn't say extension.
But I'm not a lawyer and someone on the ODT is and even wrote a book about GA gun laws, so he might know.

I would hesitate to let an 18 year old drive around with a short barreled shotgun, even though the overall length keeps it legal do you really want him to have to explain that to an LEO on the side of the road?

I don't want him to have to explain it on the side of the road. BUT, I sure would like for him to have it if he was on the side of the road and a couple thugs decided to stop.

A double edged sword I suppose.

I don't want him to have to explain it on the side of the road. BUT, I sure would like for him to have it if he was on the side of the road and a couple thugs decided to stop.

A double edged sword I suppose.

And, maybe I should go ahead and have a good 2nd Amendment lawyer on retainer simply because I am concerned with my son's safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom