• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can anyone recommend a swimming pool contractor?

Mine has a massive oak tree over the top of it, so in the fall, it is a LOT of work. Unfortunately it isn't my oak tree, so not a lot I can do about it.

cut vertical at the property line....you're allowed to do that....bear in mind you may piss off your neighbor, but then they wont want to use your pool if they're not talking to you.....win win!

Problem is getting to it. My back yard is flat where the pool is, but then slopes up sharply for like 15 feet in elevation and then there is the 6" privacy fence, and their tree is just on the other side of that.

But my back yard is pretty much the pool, patio and a shed, right where they would need to come in and try to remove part of the tree. It would be tricky, to say the least.

That said, the horse farm is trying to get the zoning changed from Agro to residential so they can bust it up into 8 half acre lots, and the builder is planning to put nice homes starting in the mid-600's range.

They needed our approval to help get it rezoned, as as the VP of our HOA, I negotiated some things with them. We all payed lot premiums for these lots to back up to the horse farm and have more privacy... So I asked for them to leave a buffer zone and plant some fast growing evergreens, which would retain privacy for both us and those new homes, and to remove the portion of that tree that is hanging over my yard and will one day end up in my pool and kitchen...

So I did get them to agree to that, just waiting on it all to happen. :-)

I will probably have to pay someone to come out, haul off the busted parts and re-pour concrete this spring... I imagine that will be a few thousand...

This largely depends on the soil conditions but when you have the company come out and do the work, have them use the busted up concrete as the aggregate below the new pour. May save a few bucks from haul off and new gravel (if needed).

Problem is getting to it. My back yard is flat where the pool is, but then slopes up sharply for like 15 feet in elevation and then there is the 6" privacy fence, and their tree is just on the other side of that.

But my back yard is pretty much the pool, patio and a shed, right where they would need to come in and try to remove part of the tree. It would be tricky, to say the least.

That said, the horse farm is trying to get the zoning changed from Agro to residential so they can bust it up into 8 half acre lots, and the builder is planning to put nice homes starting in the mid-600's range.

They needed our approval to help get it rezoned, as as the VP of our HOA, I negotiated some things with them. We all payed lot premiums for these lots to back up to the horse farm and have more privacy... So I asked for them to leave a buffer zone and plant some fast growing evergreens, which would retain privacy for both us and those new homes, and to remove the portion of that tree that is hanging over my yard and will one day end up in my pool and kitchen...

So I did get them to agree to that, just waiting on it all to happen. :-)
I'd call a tree company. They'll climb up there and have your half of that tree bare before lunch.

I grew up with a pool too. I don't recall my dad hating it because he didn't have to do anything. I did all the cleaning and water testing. I would stop on the way home from school and grab chlorine from the pool store occasionally, which I don't have to do now with the automated salt chlorine generator system. It's definitely a lot more work if you ever let it get away from you.

My guess is it was worse back in the day. For a little while the grading was bad and every time it rained the pool would get mud all in it. My Dad fixed that issue by building a small wall. Beyond that, I remember them hoisting the filter out to clean pretty regularly and just generally cleaning it even though no one was really using it. In your case it looks to be right behind the house so if nothing else it will be pretty to look at. At my folk's place the pool was situated such that you couldn't see it from any window in the house (just due to where it had to be located). My little sister is who really wanted it so my parent's gave in. To this day I still give her crap about it.

Ours looks great when the grass is green and it's sunny.

This summer, all it did was rain. We have the cartridge style filter and so far it hasn't needed cleaning. I have to toss in a 40lbs bag of salt occasionally, but that's $10 a bag, no biggie.

I do check the alkalinity weekly and occasionally have to pour in some acid, and depending on the temp I adjust the salt generator... That's all easy stuff.

It's the non-stop rain for weeks on end that has me having to pump water out of the pool and then replacing salt... or in the fall, I spend 2+ hours a day, going out there for 15 minutes 6-8 times a day to scoop out leaves, empty the bag on the pool robot, etc... That's what takes the most time. the 3 months of fall, is just hell.

Then it's cold for winter and then it starts raining in spring and stops about 2 weeks before fall. Wash, rinse, repeat. haha

Ours looks great when the grass is green and it's sunny.

This summer, all it did was rain. We have the cartridge style filter and so far it hasn't needed cleaning. I have to toss in a 40lbs bag of salt occasionally, but that's $10 a bag, no biggie.

I do check the alkalinity weekly and occasionally have to pour in some acid, and depending on the temp I adjust the salt generator... That's all easy stuff.

It's the non-stop rain for weeks on end that has me having to pump water out of the pool and then replacing salt... or in the fall, I spend 2+ hours a day, going out there for 15 minutes 6-8 times a day to scoop out leaves, empty the bag on the pool robot, etc... That's what takes the most time. the 3 months of fall, is just hell.

Then it's cold for winter and then it starts raining in spring and stops about 2 weeks before fall. Wash, rinse, repeat. haha

You could've just paid me to come kick you in the balls every few days for $60k. I kid I kid....

Back
Top Bottom