• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Car purchase question

Yeah the part about not having the title in hand makes me think twice. The guy lives in my sub division. Selling a 2005 Jeep Sport looks very clean, paint very little wear, lifted, new tires, 1 y.o. top, aftermarket front & rear tube bumpers, 90K miles, inline 6, automatic. $11.5K He started at $13K and from my search most 2005 are $14-15K.

The DMV has a guide that gives the valuation for calculating the tax. You can find it on their website so you know before you go in. In my experience, their valuations have been very low.

Once you receive the title in the mail, it will be in your name and you take it to the tag office. You will pay $18 registration, $20 tag, plus 6.75% of the NADA book value (clean trade in or retail, I forgot). Anyhow, if that value shows as $10,000, you will owe $675 + $38 to get a tag.

It's NADA Clean Retail. You know they're always gonna use the highest price.

The lady literally broke out the little NADA book and thumbed through it the last time I went to title a vehicle.

I wonder if it's different from DMV to DMV. The valuations I've gotten on two cars that I've registered since the new law were quite a lot lower than NADA, but they are 20 and 25 year old cars. That may make a big difference too.

I wonder if it's different from DMV to DMV. The valuations I've gotten on two cars that I've registered since the new law were quite a lot lower than NADA, but they are 20 and 25 year old cars. That may make a big difference too.

I think cars over a certain age are exempt from the new law. I don't remember exactly, but it might be based on what you paid for it.

They don't use the NADA values for cars over a certain age. I don't remember exactly, but it might be based on what you paid for it.

They had a list, and they didn't care one bit what I paid. But yeah, I think you're right. NADA only goes back so far, then they break out their own list of valuations. Most are obscenely low..fine by me. Saved me some cash for sure.

The lady literally broke out the little NADA book and thumbed through it the last time I went to title a vehicle.

I'm not trying to be a wise acre, but the laws just changed in March 2013. State wide, not a county by county thing anymore. I just did this two weeks ago, being in a 7% county I like the new system! btw this was on a 2003 truck.

Back
Top Bottom