• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Car purchase question

I received a letter from the Department of Revenue in 2008 stated that I owed 2300$ for a Suburban that I had purchased out of state..In 2001 I bought one online, from Texas from a private owner via E-Bay. Called the DOR and was told I owed back taxes on said purchase...7 yrs after!!! I told them it was a private purchase sent them the bill of sale.

Two months later I was informed that their was a lean placed on my property down in Rockdale County. I called them made an appointment and went in...They told me I was being charged the tax and late fees..I asked them how they arrived at the price? he said Kelly Blue Book..I pulled out the bill of sale and the wire transfer as proof of the sale..They reduced it to 900 large..Pissed I pulled out the cash, and they said they don't take cash!! I pulled out my checkbook and was informed they don't take personal checks! Now here is the irony it was April the 15th at 2:00 pm I had to go to the Post office down the street and get a money order, while a waited in a damn long line...Bottom line is your screwed any way you look at it with the DOR>

I think cars over a certain age are exempt from the new law. I don't remember exactly, but it might be based on what you paid for it.

My apologies there may be some exemptions by age, but my impression was that if it has a VIN# it is calculated by the DOR.

• If the vehicle is a used vehicle and not listed in state motor vehicle assessment manual, the fair market value will be the higher of (1) the value from the bill of sale or (2) the value listed in a used car market guide designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Revenue.
  • A reduction is made for the trade-in when the sale was made by a dealer, but not when the sale was made by a private individual.

This is such an educational site :)

She valued your vehicle at a higher rate and pocket the difference? :rolleyes:

Actually, and surprisingly, I made out OK. The value for my vehicle wasn't in their system yet since it was 2014 (used) so she broke out the NADA book. She couldn't find it in there either (only 2013 model) so she asked if I had a bill of sale. Why, yes, yes I do. :) The seller and I had done a cash + firearms deal so the Bill of Sale only listed the cash portion. I didn't plan it that way, we just didn't want to bother with listing the firearms part on a BoS. I knew they wouldn't use the BoS price anyhow, so I thought nothing of it. As it turns out, the BoS price was about half of the NADA value. She looked at it and said, "boy you got a great deal, huh"? I just smiled and happily paid my title tax like a good sheep.

My apologies there may be some exemptions by age, but my impression was that if it has a VIN# it is calculated by the DOR.

• If the vehicle is a used vehicle and not listed in state motor vehicle assessment manual, the fair market value will be the higher of (1) the value from the bill of sale or (2) the value listed in a used car market guide designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Revenue.
  • A reduction is made for the trade-in when the sale was made by a dealer, but not when the sale was made by a private individual.

This is such an educational site :)

Oh, it most certainly is! :thumb: Entertainingly-educational.

Actually, and surprisingly, I made out OK. The value for my vehicle wasn't in their system yet since it was 2014 (used) so she broke out the NADA book. She couldn't find it in there either (only 2013 model) so she asked if I had a bill of sale. Why, yes, yes I do. :) The seller and I had done a cash + firearms deal so the Bill of Sale only listed the cash portion. I didn't plan it that way, we just didn't want to bother with listing the firearms part on a BoS. I knew they wouldn't use the BoS price anyhow, so I thought nothing of it. As it turns out, the BoS price was about half of the NADA value. She looked at it and said, "boy you got a great deal, huh"? I just smiled and happily paid my title tax like a good sheep.

SCORE_logo.jpg for you!!! Is this auto dealer on the ODT by chance?
I might "accidentally" have to do that on my next purchase...:)

My understanding is that if I purchase that same vehicle from you (once it gets in their system) the advalorem is paid in full and it is just the plate, tag and title transfer ($36) paid from here on out on that vehicle?

lol, you can't possibly bring too much documentation to the DMV..fo sho.

OK the tax is cleared. I think we are both going to Wells Fargo tomorrow. He has a pay off and I guess the plan is to pay his lien off at the bank. I'm asking them to mail the cleared title to me. However, I wondering about that cleared title being in his name and then I have to have him sign off on it. Why is this so complicated? ...:mad:

for you!!! Is this auto dealer on the ODT by chance?
I might "accidentally" have to do that on my next purchase...:)

My understanding is that if I purchase that same vehicle from you (once it gets in their system) the advalorem is paid in full and it is just the plate, tag and title transfer ($36) paid from here on out on that vehicle?

Not on ODT, it was a private seller I found........on Craigslist..lol

You're sadly mistaken. It's no longer "ad-valorem", it's title tax. So the tax is paid every time the title transfers ownership. There are very few exceptions, like inheriting and such, but you could buy it today, pay the tax, and sell it tomorrow and the next guy owes the tax again. You didn't really think the gov was going to decrease their revenue stream did you?

Back
Top Bottom