• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car Title. Help!

The buyer (or buyers) would pay the same or more tax, just in smaller increments as part of their annual tag purchase. As long as the car was tagged, there was no "black economy"

The only disadvantaged entities were , as noted by letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar , the car dealers, who finally got a benefit of the finest legislators money could buy.
Ok, so I work a M-F job and pay my effective 24.5% of taxes every paycheck. Joe Schmo should be able to float tiles, get around the requirement for a dealers license and pay no taxes in his under the table income?

I don't like NEW taxes on anything, but if you are trading out cars every 2-3 years or less or flipping them, this is only affecting you and gives the government more money.

If you keep your cars for 4+ years, this is a no brainier.

I do see the side of the argument for other view points (mainly the continued sale of a vehicle until it's recycle or sold indefinitely -> something like a specialty vehicle).

For the majority that buys from dealers anyways, this should not be he end of the world unles you have to keep up with the Jones and but a new car every 2 years.

Joe Schmo should be able to float tiles, get around the requirement for a dealers license and pay no taxes in his under the table income?

Overlooking the fact that this has nothing to do with the current discussion, it is a valid point.

To which I respond:

(1) Carrying an open(floating) title is already illegal and has been for several years. That said, in the last 3 months I bought a car on an "open title" from someone who was probably an unlicensed car dealer.

(2) Being an unlicensed car dealer has been illegal for even more years, and has severe criminal and civil penalties which are seldom if ever enforced.

(3) Income taxes has nothing to do with this new tax, as the tax is not even on the sale price of the car, but on some mythical government unicorn car. The "flipper" can continue to illegally not pay his income taxes regardless of the new tax. Besides any income tax is only on the profit, not the full value of the car.

If those are the evils to be remedied, the gov't already had plenty of avenues to address these evils

Ok, so I work a M-F job and pay my effective 24.5% of taxes every paycheck. Joe Schmo should be able to float tiles, get around the requirement for a dealers license and pay no taxes in his under the table income?

I don't like NEW taxes on anything, but if you are trading out cars every 2-3 years or less or flipping them, this is only affecting you and gives the government more money.

If you keep your cars for 4+ years, this is a no brainier.

I do see the side of the argument for other view points (mainly the continued sale of a vehicle until it's recycle or sold indefinitely -> something like a specialty vehicle).

For the majority that buys from dealers anyways, this should not be he end of the world unles you have to keep up with the Jones and but a new car every 2 years.

Buy a car from an individual, pay the "every time tax" Title transfer fee, no sales tax.

Buy a car from a used car dealer, just pay sales tax, there is no "Everytime tax fee". Hmm, something just doesn't add up.

Tell us how do you feel about people selling firearms. Do you think we should pay sales tax?
What about yard sales? do you think people should pay taxes on their "profits"?

To Wallace, To answer your question, yes.

Taxation is extortion by the US Government. Flat tax is the only non corrupt way too be taxed.

All this stupid Real Deal title transfer tax does is sends more vehicles to the scrap yard.

You can be sure of one thing, if the Government is involved, somebodies pocket is getting padded.

Overlooking the fact that this has nothing to do with the current discussion, it is a valid point.

To which I respond:

(1) Carrying an open(floating) title is already illegal and has been for several years. That said, in the last 3 months I bought a car on an "open title" from someone who was probably an unlicensed car dealer.

(2) Being an unlicensed car dealer has been illegal for even more years, and has severe criminal and civil penalties which are seldom if ever enforced.

(3) Income taxes has nothing to do with this new tax, as the tax is not even on the sale price of the car, but on some mythical government unicorn car. The "flipper" can continue to illegally not pay his income taxes regardless of the new tax. Besides any income tax is only on the profit, not the full value of the car.

If those are the evils to be remedied, the gov't already had plenty of avenues to address these evils
These are valid points

Wow! This thread took a real left turn. I'm just glad to see the debate play itself out without anyone calling me a dirty low life cousin screwing unlicensed criminal used car flipper this time. :becky:

Buy a car from an individual, pay the "every time tax" Title transfer fee, no sales tax.

Buy a car from a used car dealer, just pay sales tax, there is no "Everytime tax fee". Hmm, something just doesn't add up.

Tell us how do you feel about people selling firearms. Do you think we should pay sales tax?
What about yard sales? do you think people should pay taxes on their "profits"?

To Wallace, To answer your question, yes.

Taxation is extortion by the US Government. Flat tax is the only non corrupt way too be taxed.

All this stupid Real Deal title transfer tax does is sends more vehicles to the scrap yard.

You can be sure of one thing, if the Government is involved, somebodies pocket is getting padded.
Wow! This thread took a real left turn. I'm just glad to see the debate play itself out without anyone calling me a dirty low life cousin screwing unlicensed criminal used car flipper this time. :becky:

It's still early Friday. We need to get through Happy Hour to get really wound up

Back
Top Bottom