• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car Title. Help!

I never had the title in my name. It has been registered to me for several years.

Strange you have it registered without the title in your name.

3 options

1) you did have the title somehow, and can apply for a lost title. Since it is registered to you, you probably are on the title and can just apply for a lost one.

2) Previous owner applies for lost title and upon arrival, signs it over to you. You would have to pay TAVT to get it into your name.

3) Previous owner applies for lost title and upon arrival signs the back and leaves the "buyer" portion blank. You then just have the person buying it sign it (floating the title). If not, you will have to pay TAVT on it, and so will then new owner if you title it in your name and then sell it.

If this is in regards to that Corolla, I had gratis pulled on that VIN and it came back clear. Should not have issues getting this title.

PM me your name so I can see if it matches what was on the report as being registered too.

I am still interested in that car if this baby will ever deliver! Lol

ETA: if you are going to float the title DO NOT DATE IT ON THE BACK!

So yeah, an ODTER met me today to buy the car, so I get the Ahole award this week.
So needless to say, I got to get it sorted out. I have got the tag in my name, so the taxes should be paid.

I just thought about all my cars. It just so happens that I never have had to mess with a title before.

Obviously I prefer payments and old cars.

I have got the tag in my name, so the taxes should be paid.

Welcome to the Brave New World. Thanks to the small government, no new taxes Republicans, there is now what is essentially a sales tax on private auto mobile sales so when the title is transferred to you, you can't get the new certificate until you pay the tax based on what the gov't thinks you POS is worth in perfect condition. Right now I forget whether you can thank Sonny or Nathan for this example of a smaller less expensive gov't.

But here's the really good thing about this new opportunity to participate more fully in state government, when you sell the car, the NEW owner gets to pay the same tax on the same value again.

So those parsimonious Republicans are going to collect the same tax twice in a matter of days.

So bottom line, best thing to do is get the previous owner to obtain the title -- it's a short trip to the tax office -- have that owner sign the title in "open" form which is no buyer, (which is also illegal, buy hey, you get to live on the wild side), and then fill in the name of the ultimate buyer. That way only the ultimate buyer gets screwed out of the tax.

Welcome to the Brave New World. Thanks to the small government, no new taxes Republicans, there is now what is essentially a sales tax on private auto mobile sales so when the title is transferred to you, you can't get the new certificate until you pay the tax based on what the gov't thinks you POS is worth in perfect condition. Right now I forget whether you can thank Sonny or Nathan for this example of a smaller less expensive gov't.

But here's the really good thing about this new opportunity to participate more fully in state government, when you sell the car, the NEW owner gets to pay the same tax on the same value again.

So those parsimonious Republicans are going to collect the same tax twice in a matter of days.

So bottom line, best thing to do is get the previous owner to obtain the title -- it's a short trip to the tax office -- have that owner sign the title in "open" form which is no buyer, (which is also illegal, buy hey, you get to live on the wild side), and then fill in the name of the ultimate buyer. That way only the ultimate buyer gets screwed out of the tax.
2 things,

1) I already noted what you said above.

2) TAVT is bad ONLY if you are buying and selling frequently and from a private party. Yes, I like it. My STI, and wife's RAV4 will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

I dont get it, you use to pay sales tax AND ad valorem every year. Now, you just pay TAVT and that is it. How is that a bad deal unless you buying outside of a dealer?

Lets say you have a $30K car @ 7%, that is $2,100 in TAVT....and your done.

Old way:

$30K car @ 7% sales tax(Bartow County) + ad valorem:

Lets say the state values your car at that exact $30K too. Now we calculate ad valorem:

30,000 x 0.4 = 12,000, now we calculate the mill rate of 25.88 (Bartow as an example) and divide by 1,000. Take that .02588 and multiply it by 12,000. Your ad valorem would have been $310.56 the first go around

Soooooo....

$2,100 in sales tax + $310.56 when I need to get my tag renewed. Lets say you keep that car 4 years and its value drops 10% each time from its new valuation, that is $1271.77 in addition to the $2,100 in sales tax you would have paid.$3371.77 total.

Yes, I like the new way.

They are getting the money from private sales largely in part because of all the "flippers". This was to help "boost" dealer business by closing the tax "loophole-ish" and making it more appealing to purchase new/used from a dealer.

They are getting the money from private sales largely in part because of all the "flippers". This was to help "boost" dealer business by closing the tax "loophole-ish" and making it more appealing to purchase new/used from a dealer.

That's the primary reason the tax was passed, the dealers had been "doggy whining" about sales tax free"casual sales' for at least 20 years.

(BTW, do your calculation for 3 years, and let me know how you make out.)

What I object to is:

It is a tax increase plain and simple, imposed by the Republicans who will stand there and tell you that the won't vote for tax increase. And it was a tax increase that did not increase revenues, but "leveled the playing field" for their large donor buddy car dealers.

What I especially object to is that you are happy paying you TAVT for a car you keep 4 years. Then you sell it, and the next schmo has to pay the TAVT on the same car. Then in 4 years he sells the car, and schmo no. 3 has to pay the TAVT again. Sure the value of the car is less each time, and the tax is less, but the government is collecting the tax on the same value 3 times.

Also, the value is based on some hypothetical perfect car of that year and model. I like to drive old beater trucks. Sure you can appeal the valuation but the gov't knows that most people are going to take the time to appeal over a couple of hundred dollars. The sap will just pony up the money and go on (and try to get the tag office to tell you about the appeal process. You will note there are no notices about it in the tag office.)

2 things,

1) I already noted what you said above.

2) TAVT is bad ONLY if you are buying and selling frequently and from a private party. Yes, I like it. My STI, and wife's RAV4 will be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

I dont get it, you use to pay sales tax AND ad valorem every year. Now, you just pay TAVT and that is it. How is that a bad deal unless you buying outside of a dealer?

Lets say you have a $30K car @ 7%, that is $2,100 in TAVT....and your done.

Old way:

$30K car @ 7% sales tax(Bartow County) + ad valorem:

Lets say the state values your car at that exact $30K too. Now we calculate ad valorem:

30,000 x 0.4 = 12,000, now we calculate the mill rate of 25.88 (Bartow as an example) and divide by 1,000. Take that .02588 and multiply it by 12,000. Your ad valorem would have been $310.56 the first go around

Soooooo....

$2,100 in sales tax + $310.56 when I need to get my tag renewed. Lets say you keep that car 4 years and its value drops 10% each time from its new valuation, that is $1271.77 in addition to the $2,100 in sales tax you would have paid.$3371.77 total.

Yes, I like the new way.

The law change was lobbied successfully buy car lots and car dealers to knock out their competition . They wanted to eliminate the car flippers and Craigslist guys.

The government will take as much of your money as they want, one way or another. I can understand people avoiding paying taxes whenever they can, I would, given the opportunity, but theres a lot of people benefiting greatly from the black economy, I'm not one of them, so happy to see them have to pay up like me :)

but theres a lot of people benefiting greatly from the black economy, I'm not one of them, so happy to see them have to pay up like me :)

The buyer (or buyers) would pay the same or more tax, just in smaller increments as part of their annual tag purchase. As long as the car was tagged, there was no "black economy"

The only disadvantaged entities were , as noted by letusbuyyourcar letusbuyyourcar , the car dealers, who finally got a benefit of the finest legislators money could buy.

Go to your local tag office with your ID and vehicle information. Fill out a form requesting replacement title. Should be about $8 I think. Been a while since I did one. They will not reissue titles on 85 or older.

Not issuing a titles on 85 and older is a not a totally correct statement.

If I go in with a title on a vehicle purchase, I'll be getting a replacement title in my name, even though the clerk will say " you don't need a title" I tell them I really don't care, I want a title.
If you don't have a title and just a BOS that might be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom