• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry handle driving me crazy on AR556!-RESOLVED

Not to point out a little subject, but it could be significant if misunderstood,
the range at Bullseye is only 25yrds, ....not 50.
That could be a big factor if zeroed in there then moving outdoors and trying to hit targets.
I believe the OP said "to get the gun to shoot Bullseye at 50y"......not "to get the gun to shoot AT Bullseye at 50y", :lol:

But I get what you're saying.

Per the Ruger website, the front sight is A2 F height.
I find Ruger's "A2 F Height" description muddy at best.

In the civilian market "A2" refers to an upper with a fixed carry handle and standard rifle (shorter non "F" marked) front sight base. :dizzy:

Per the Ruger website, the front sight is A2 F height.

I find Ruger's "A2 F Height" description muddy at best.

In the civilian market "A2" refers to an upper with a fixed carry handle and standard rifle (shorter non "F" marked) front sight base. :dizzy:

It does not say A2, it says A2-style F-height. If it wasn't the Ruger forums would be flooded with complaints, and they're not. Something else is going on, or his sight is out of Ruger spec.

http://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html
The A2-style F-height allows co-witness with many optics.

It does not say A2, it says A2-style F-height. If it wasn't the Ruger forums would be flooded with complaints, and they're not. Something else is going on, or his sight is out of Ruger spec.

http://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html
The A2-style F-height allows co-witness with many optics.
It doesn't matter if it says "A2" or "A2 Style". "Style" not withstanding, there is no such thing as an A2 front sight base. In the civilian market A2 refers to the fixed carry handle upper and A2 uppers are equipped with non F marked front sight bases. That was my point. Help me out here. What does "A2-style" mean? Or better yet what does "F-height allows co-witness with many optics" mean? The height of the front sight base, F or standard has zero to do with co-witnessing an optic.

I am sure if Ruger's AR is anything like their other firearms, it is a fine weapon. The front sight base may indeed be 1.98 inches in height instead od 1.94 inches. But Ruger's whole statement about their front sight base is nonsensical.

It doesn't matter if it says "A2" or "A2 Style". "Style" not withstanding, there is no such thing as an A2 front sight base. In the civilian market A2 refers to the fixed carry handle upper and A2 uppers are equipped with non F marked front sight bases. That was my point.

Help me out here. What does "A2-style" mean?

When it comes to sights, it's typically referring to fixed front sight with built-in gas block. When it comes too uppers, a fixed carry handle with adjustable windage and elevation. And I love my A2 style Carbine upper with fixed carry handle and non F marked FSB.

What would you call this F marked FSB that Brownells is selling?
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-fixed-a2-front-sight-prod78707.aspx

When it comes to sights, it's typically referring to fixed front sight with built-in gas block. When it comes too uppers, a fixed carry handle with adjustable windbag and elevation. And I love my A2 style Carbine upper with fixed carry handle and non F marked FSB.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-fixed-a2-front-sight-prod78707.aspx
Is there such a thing as a fixed front sight base without a built in gas block as far as ARs are concerned? What does "fixed" mean? I would call it a Daniel Defense F marked front sight base. Just because Brownells is as confused about the "A2" nomenclature doesn't make them any more informed than Ruger.

Like I stated before Ruger's "A2- style F-height allows co-witness with many optics" front sight statement is completely nonsensical. There is no standard or specification for an "A2" front sight base and the height of the front sight base, F/1.98 inches or standard/1.94 inches, has zero to do with co-witnessing an optic.

When it comes to sights, it's typically referring to fixed front sight with built-in gas block. When it comes too uppers, a fixed carry handle with adjustable windage and elevation. And I love my A2 style Carbine upper with fixed carry handle and non F marked FSB.

What "fixed front sight with a built-in gas block" goes on an A1 upper?
What "fixed front sight with a built-in gas block" goes on an A2 upper?
What "fixed front sight with a built-in gas block" goes on an A3/A4 upper?

The A2 style non marked, the A2 style non marked, and A2 style F marked respectively?
Did all the A1 rifles have an A2 style front sight base on them before the A2 upper was even produced?

Back
Top Bottom