• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry handle driving me crazy on AR556!-RESOLVED

Bennyboy

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
262   0
Reaction score
Okay guys, need some help here. As many of you I'm sure know there are two different height front sight bases and two different height carry handles for AR15s. My understanding is this (and please correct me if I'm wrong): the A2 front sight is the standard height (used mainly on fixed carry handle guns) and the F type front sight is 0.04" taller used mainly on flattop AR15s. Carry handles come in commercial height (apparently a result of Bushmaster being dumbasses and not raising the FSB on flatto) and milspec height: milspec is 0.04" taller.

Now, Ruger and every forum I read says the AR556 has a "F height" front sight, meaning it should correspond to a milspec height rear handle. I just installed one though and it's too tall, to get the gun to shoot Bullseye at 50y, my front sight post is screwed nearly all the way out (to the point it's loose). Otherwise it shoots way high. This tells me one of three things: A) My front sight (or at least the post) is too short (and everyone, including Ruger , is wrong), B) my rear carry handle is too tall, (it's adjusted all the way down), or C) all the info I find is wrong.

Can anyone shed some light?

Okay guys, need some help here. As many of you I'm sure know there are two different height front sight bases and two different height carry handles for AR15s. My understanding is this (and please correct me if I'm wrong): the A2 front sight is the standard height (used mainly on fixed carry handle guns) and the F type front sight is 0.04" taller used mainly on flattop AR15s. Carry handles come in commercial height (apparently a result of Bushmaster being dumbasses and not raising the FSB on flatto) and milspec height: milspec is 0.04" taller.

Now, Ruger and every forum I read says the AR556 has a "F height" front sight, meaning it should correspond to a milspec height rear handle. I just installed one though and it's too tall, to get the gun to shoot Bullseye at 50y, my front sight post is screwed nearly all the way out (to the point it's loose). Otherwise it shoots ways high. This tells me one of two things: A) My front sight (or at least the post) is too short or B) my rear carry handle is too tall (it's adjusted all the way down).

Can anyone shed some light?
Are there any markings on the carry handle? Your Ruger is F height and should work with any milspec carry handle.

Just the keyhole (Cerro Forge I believe). I took it off an AR I had a long time ago, can't remember the brand (had a few since then).

I also tried a cheapo one I had lying around, both shoot exactly the same: dead on at 50y but only with the FSP adjusted too far out. I know a longer front sight post would fix the problem. My issue is: according to all my readings, I shouldn't need one. Either Ruger is selling rifles with the incorrect FSB or FSP and I actually need a commercial height handle (doubt it) or my carry handles are both even taller than milspec (the taller of the two carry handles, commercial is shorter than Milspec).

Wtf? Only other thing I could think of is ammo. It's just plain old 55g Federal. Surely it's not shooting this high? Could change up just to see.

My wheel is marked 6/3 for what's it's worth.

I just checked both carry handles vs the flip up sight that comes with the AR556 and they are indeed taller. That sight zeroes perfectly so I beg the question: why does Ruger say they're from sight is Milspec height and then include a sight that isn't?

Per Magpuls website (which I believe is all the Ruger branded rear sight is), they're rear BUIS are made to work with A2 height front sights, not F height. This further supports that Ruger's front sight is too short.

The 6/3 wheel has to be screw all the way down and set to the "Z" mark for a 25m zero...which is then good to 300m when set back at 6/3. Zero it at 25m and aim low at 50m for man size target

Back
Top Bottom