• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying while hiking or on the AT?

I wonder if a hiker with a CCW was hiking in one of these states without a firearm (due to their law) was attacked could the hiker then sue the state for invoking a law that infringed on their 2nd amendment right and the ability to defend themselves? Even though you are not a resident you should not forfeit your constitutional right to go through that state.

Maybe GA, NC, SC, TN, FL , AL, MS should quit recognizing any driver's licenses from states that don't recognize our right to carry concealed. Make it hard for the snowbirds to go south.

Sometimes I wonder if carrying a long gun, a non-tactical sporting-looking gun, might be a way to legally carry in those states that require a permit to carry a handgun (even for open carry) and which will not honor a Georgia GWL.

Some of those states probably will have other laws against carry a LOADED rifle or shotgun, if you're not legally hunting. But even then, the violation of that law would probably be a relatively minor misdemeanor. Carrying a handgun in many states is a FELONY.

Most military rifles are too heavy for me to WANT to carry them on a long mountain trail hike, BUT some .22 magnum or .223 rifles are pretty light, with plastic stocks and skinny barrels.

The classic .30 Carbine, either G.I. or a commercial one like Iver Johnson or Universal, could be a good choice, with a 15-round mag (where legal, or otherwise 10-round mags). These guns only way about 5.5 lbs. The .30 carbine round generates nearly 1,000 foot/ lbs of energy at the muzzle (110 gr. bullet at 2000 f.p.s. from 18" bbl.).
That's more than twice the energy of most common handgun rounds.

I wonder if a hiker with a CCW was hiking in one of these states without a firearm (due to their law) was attacked could the hiker then sue the state for invoking a law that infringed on their 2nd amendment right and the ability to defend themselves? ...

1.) There's no such thing in the law, at this point or any prior point in our nation's history, that says obeying a law that makes you vulnerable to criminals gives you the right to sue the government that made that law.
Not even if you drowned after your car ended up in a lake, and your seat belt held you in.
Not even if you were told by the City building inspector that you can't have burglar bars on your windows, and later an intruder broke in and killed you in your own home.

2.) Even if there were a theoretical cause of action for infringing on gun rights, the HIKER would have to prove that the ONLY reason he or she wasn't carrying that day was because of that state's gun law, AND if he or she had been carrying, it's very likely that he or she would not have been hurt.

Sometimes I wonder if carrying a long gun, a non-tactical sporting-looking gun, might be a way to legally carry in those states that require a permit to carry a handgun (even for open carry) and which will not honor a Georgia GWL.

Some of those states probably will have other laws against carry a LOADED rifle or shotgun, if you're not legally hunting. But even then, the violation of that law would probably be a relatively minor misdemeanor. Carrying a handgun in many states is a FELONY.

Most military rifles are too heavy for me to WANT to carry them on a long mountain trail hike, BUT some .22 magnum or .223 rifles are pretty light, with plastic stocks and skinny barrels.

The classic .30 Carbine, either G.I. or a commercial one like Iver Johnson or Universal, could be a good choice, with a 15-round mag (where legal, or otherwise 10-round mags). These guns only way about 5.5 lbs. The .30 carbine round generates nearly 1,000 foot/ lbs of energy at the muzzle (110 gr. bullet at 2000 f.p.s. from 18" bbl.).
A long gun would be cumbersome, draw too much attention and proably get stolen.

1.) There's no such thing in the law, at this point or any prior point in our nation's history, that says obeying a law that makes you vulnerable to criminals gives you the right to sue the government that made that law.
Not even if you drowned after your car ended up in a lake, and your seat belt held you in.
Not even if you were told by the City building inspector that you can't have burglar bars on your windows, and later an intruder broke in and killed you in your own home.

2.) Even if there were a theoretical cause of action for infringing on gun rights, the HIKER would have to prove that the ONLY reason he or she wasn't carrying that day was because of that state's gun law, AND if he or she had been carrying, it's very likely that he or she would not have been hurt.
Thanks for the interpretation. Not what I wanted to hear but I see your point.

I carried an M60 on parts of the AT, but I was much younger then.

Back
Top Bottom