• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying while hiking or on the AT?

I've read alot online about carrying (open and conceal) while on a thru-hike on the AT (and hiking in general). You can in parts of it, you can't in others... no firearms can be discharged on federal lands,etc.

If i was to start @ Springer Mtn (where the AT starts in GA & i have a GA ccw) and do the 70 or so miles in GA would i be okay? Where are the federal lands on the AT, any in GA?

What's the ODT consensus for carrying while hiking on the AT?
I hike it a good bit and wouldn't think about it unless I was carrying.

I wouldn't consider NOT carrying while hiking. It's not the four legged animals you have to worry about (at least not in this region of the country)!

If the only legal way to carry were to carry a long gun, a Remington 597 Magnum (.22 WMR) would be a good choice. Not an expensive gun you have to worry about. Enough power.
No, I don't think it would get stolen.
However, I would want to figure out a way to break it down and stick it in my pack for trips into town for supplies, or the occasional night at a motel. In that respect, if the gun had a 16" barrel instead of a 20" barrel, that would be better.

There was also a case of two females murdered in PA but over all considering the thousands of hikers on the AT verses the number crimes it is extremely low but, in life, there is always the possibility.

Wasn't the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared." If backpacking, either a S&W Shield 9mm or a .380 but with extra mags for either weapon.

If the only legal way to carry were to carry a long gun, a Remington 597 Magnum (.22 WMR) would be a good choice. Not an expensive gun you have to worry about. Enough power.
No, I don't think it would get stolen.
However, I would want to figure out a way to break it down and stick it in my pack for trips into town for supplies, or the occasional night at a motel. In that respect, if the gun had a 16" barrel instead of a 20" barrel, that would be better.

What about a Henry survival rifle? 10 round mags, weather resistance and probably lighter than the 1022 Takedown?

Always look up the laws for any state you are traveling through or in, even if you did before. Laws change. Weigh the risk and behave appropriately to the risk you are willing to take.

I prefer not to open carry anywhere. There are people who do not feel the same way I do about firearms and I do not wish to increase/cause tension or a confrontation. I also do not wish to have unnecessary conversations with LEOs. If I have to reveal that I am carrying, then I will deal with the repercussions at that point.

glock in 10mm all the way. lighter frame is nice for backpacking but you will by no means be "under-armed" against anything you encounter

Back
Top Bottom