• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying while hiking or on the AT?

762justice

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
79   3
Reaction score
I've read alot online about carrying (open and conceal) while on a thru-hike on the AT (and hiking in general). You can in parts of it, you can't in others... no firearms can be discharged on federal lands,etc.

If i was to start @ Springer Mtn (where the AT starts in GA & i have a GA ccw) and do the 70 or so miles in GA would i be okay? Where are the federal lands on the AT, any in GA?

What's the ODT consensus for carrying while hiking on the AT?

(Sorry if there is already a thread on this, i did a search on here and couldn't find any threads on carrying while hiking or anything on the Appalachian Trail.)

Thanks again

There are no laws against carrying on the AT in GA if you have a GWL and you will have to check reciprocity laws for the other states. I didn't carry when I hiked from WV to VT because I had to go through NY, NJ, CT, MA, where reciprocity is not recognized. If you get caught in one of those states with a firearm you will be doing time. You'd probably get more time for having the gun than the attacker that you shot.

I would be extremely discrete about keeping it out of sight which defeats the purpose of having a readily available weapon. It is very hard to have a hip holster and a waistbelt on a pack fit very well and if you're worried about bears don't be. Keep in mind you can't lock it up while you are sleeping, going to the crapper and you can't keep you pack on your back all the time. (If you have to dig it out of your pack it's probably too late to do any good).

There are lot of libtard hikers on the AT are from states, other countries or urban areas that are not used to seeing firearms and they may freak out if they see you with a gun and call 911 and report you. This just means you'll get stopped at the next road crossing and have to answer some questions. There are some weirdos that hang out on the trails but I've never had a problem.

It's a personal decision and you will have to decide is the extra weight and worry of having it stolen worth the peace of mind if having it.

My theory on ANY place that prohibits carry with exception to Govt buildings is this.... If someone is trying to kill me or my wife then I would rather have my gun to defend us then answer to the stupid carrying charge later. I would rather be alive and be charged with carrying than dead. Screw their carry law or policy. But hey thats just me. Im gonna defend myself no matter where I am. If I have to answer to carrying in a place that prohibits it then so be it. Atleast I will be alive to do so. And yes I have a Concealed Weapons license. Like I said, unless its a Courthouse or other Govt building like that Im carrying no matter what.

So yes, I would carry the entire trail and anywhere else I hiked.

Last time I looked it up, the laws of the state you are in apply however, you are subject to prosecution for discharging a firearm while on the AT. In my opinion, that's to discourage casual shooting, not for defensive situations.

IMG_3690.JPG
Federal "land" is not off limits per se. National parks, national wilderness areas, and I'm not sure about national monuments, but I don't think they are off-limits either.
As long as you have a permit to carry in the state in which those federal lands are located (or your GA permit gets you reciprocal carry rights), you should be good.

Just stay out of federal buildings, including the visitor centers which often have the bathrooms and supply stores.

If the A.T. went through school property, including any university or private college, that would be a problem. But I don't know of any such situation on the A.T., do you ?

The last time I went hiking in the M. Ga mountains, I carried a .38, but it didn't comfortably fit in my fanny pack, so I used a suede holster on the waist belt.

I subscibe to the always carry mentality. That said backpacking and hiking, i do not always. For a thru hike you have several cons for carrying in my mind. 1. The weight, every ounce counts. That pistol will get heavier the further you go. 2. To keep it concealed with a pack on could mean it being in your pack and not accesable quick. 3. Many sates you will hike thru on a thru hike and gun hating and as mentioned you get caught you will do time and could lose your rights.
As for in GA your ccw covers you is my understanding. It is a personel decision you have to make for you. Good like if you do a thru hike. One on my bucket list is a AT theu hike.

Back
Top Bottom